Any solution for the damn WiFi problem?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by sOwL, Jul 6, 2010.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Well, i bet it's not the first time you hear this: I open up safari, browse the web, got 3 bars of signals and suddenly... Safari can't open up any page and i have to switch the wifi off and then back on. Same with any other app, not a safari issue. Every single device that uses my home wifi is assigned a static ip so there's no ip conflict. I've read somewhere that iPhones/iPod touches only use the first DNS entry on the settings, and that if that server fails they don't move up to the second one. They suggested to use an openDNS server, which i did. Worked fine for a couple of hours but the problem came back. Really, its serious, it happens like every 5 minutes or so, you cant use the internet like that. I also forgot to mention that the router is within 3 feet and every other device connected to it has no problems at all, but the really really strange thing is that when i go to my friend's house and connect to his wifi, i get no problems... My wifi has a WPA2-Personal setting, could this cause the problem? (Back on Tiger and Leopard, i had the same problem on the mac untill i switched to WPA. Could this be?). Sorry for the long post

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

You could *try* changing the settings on your router and check for yourself if that's it.

Additionally, if you really have jailbroken it, you could always try to open up a terminal and ping IP addresses to see if your WiFi connection is still active. Alternatively, you could ping the iPod from other machines to see if it's still on the network. If it's still on the network, it's not a WiFi setting.

3. markojug macrumors regular

Try this

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

4. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

I already have reseted my network settings 2 times. I waited untill the problem happened again and quickly run terminal and pinged google.com. After being idle for like 1 minute, it finally pinged and i quickly switched to safari and it works. Strangely enough, whenever this problem appears it won't work untill i switch it off and then back on, but now it 'recconected' on its own. I'l wait untill it happens again and try to ping my computer which is on the same network to see it it does it instantly. If it does, it means that i'm still connected to my router even if the internet fails, right? I think this is the case, and thats why i was thinking about DNS and stuff... The only thing i haven't tried yet is changing from WPA2 to WPA. But this can wait because another 2 computers are using this network as i speak...

5. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

An Update: I don't know why, but it seems that somehow my ISP's DNS servers made push notifications to malfunction. Ever since i tried the OpenDNS servers push works seamlessly well. Don't know what does this have to do with my problem, could this be causing it? Also, i've read that Macs and iDevices don't support 40Mhz signals (wide) but only the standard 20Mhz. My mac was working fine with the 40Mhz?? Lol this is so confusing... but i changed it anyway (no drops in signal on any computers in the network). If these things fixed my problem i will report back, may save troubles to others

6. canada eh macrumors regular

I am having the same problems! the ipod is connected to a network, but won't give me internet. if I try to search for a different network, none show up and I have to turn the wifi on then off again to see them, even then they time out even if it is a working computer- computer network.

**update, mine works after reseting network settings