Any solution for Thunderbolt port shortage on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacRumoren, Oct 12, 2013.

1. MacRumoren macrumors member

Hi guys, need your feedback.

I would like to use an external Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt drive, but my 15" MacBookPro already has one thunderbolt port connected to an external Dell monitor and the other port connected to the Thunderbolt->Ethernet adapter.

Unfortunately the Lacie Rugged Drive only has one Thunderbolt port so I can't daisy-chain it to the Ethernet adapter. What solutions are available, preferably cost-effective too?

I checked out the USB Ethernet port solution, but asaik there is no Gbps version available yet.

2. durkkin macrumors regular

3. Freyqq macrumors 601

hdmi to dvi cable can get your dell monitor to work over hdmi up to 1920x1200.

----------

try to use one that is usb 3 instead for the full speed

4. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

This. I paid about £10 for a Gigabit USB3 adapter from Amazon for use on my iMac. Works perfect. Uses the ASIXX chipset.

5. MacRumoren thread starter macrumors member

because the Dell 30" must use the TB/displayport to work, HDMI doesn't support 2560x1600 :(

Yes, but I already have 6 USB3.0 drives connected to the USB3.0, the USB ethernet adapters may steal too much bandwidth from my drives? :confused:

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I think you need to look at a storage box that has two TB ports so you can daisy chain. Otherwise there are TB docks like the $300 Belkin that you could perhaps make work, as it has Ethernet and USB built in:

1 Thunderbolt port to connect to Mac or Thunderbolt Display
    1 Thunderbolt port to connect Thunderbolt devices (Daisy-chain up to 5 devices)
    1 Gigabit Ethernet port (10/100/1000 Mbps)
    1 FireWire 800 port
    1 3.5mm Headphone Output Jack
    1 3.5mm Audio Input Jack
    3 USB 3.0 ports (data transfer at 2.5Gbps max)

7. Freyqq, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

Freyqq macrumors 601

Each USB 3 can do about 250 MB/s. So, that can handle taxing about 2 HD and gigabit Ethernet at once. You probably don't tax more than 2 at a time. You could do 2 HD and gigabit Ethernet on one and 4 HD on the other.

Or, you can build a cheap NAS storage PC and connect that to gigabit Ethernet too.

8. MacRumoren thread starter macrumors member

Split the HDs into 2/4 configuration sounds like the best compromise for now, I only need to spend on a $20 USB ethernet dock. :eek:

I would love to get the TB dock, but it's simply too expensive!:eek:

9. MacRumoren thread starter macrumors member

Speaking of the Belkin dock, why does it have such a bad rep? Slow USB3.0 speeds, random disconnections, and data corruption. It doesn't sound like a premium $300 device.