Any solution to maintain WiFi connection when getting out of sleep mode?

slo-climber

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Hi.

I have late 2013 rMBP with Mavericks 10.9.3. I have a "problem" that when I get out of sleep mode, WiFi connection is not established for let say 20 seconds. Is this normal? Is it possible to not lose the connection while sleeping?

Thanks

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Same problem, wifi indicator shows its connected, but its not. Worse still if I go to a webpage before its connected properly it seems to hang for longer. I just end up disconnecting and reconnecting wifi if I'm in a hurry. Coulpled with the occasional black screen if you resume when its just gone to sleep, this has put a slight dent in my faith with Apples sleep/wake, as up til now I've always found Apples sleep/wake flawless and leagues ahead of any other machines I've owned/used.

Last edited:

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2013
Mine does this only when bluetooth is turned on.

I've just seen on the front page that the new mavericks update addresses issues with connecting to wifi when coming out of sleep. Hopefully the update will fix it for everyone (it seems quite common).

Bri in Mtl

macrumors member
May 29, 2013
So far I'd say my WiFi reconnect after asleep mode has improved with the new update.
Haven't tried it with the Bluetooth on yet. Will later.

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
My late 2013 rMBP still hangs for 20 seconds after the 10.9.4 update.

Quite annoying but unlike before the update, it does connect eventually.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Never experienced such problem with any of my MacBooks (2x 2006 MB, 1x 2008 Unibody MBP, 1x 2011 MBA, 1x late 2013 MBPr) and any OS X versions with my AirPort Extreme basestations (there have been 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen).
Have you tried to update also basestation firmware?

In the early days my 2006 MacBook did not want to stay connected to old D-Link DI-524 at all. Updating the firmware solved this problem for good.

PS New MacBooks completely shut off their radios while sleeping on battery! If you connect AC power and set computer (not display) to never sleep, you should be able to achieve the permanent wireless connection to basestation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.