Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roberto25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
When I try to steam video from websites like Netflix and Hulu, the audio and video get extremely "choppy" and delayed to the point where it's completely unwatchable. I have already spent hours on various websites and forums researching this and I've concluded that it's definitely a wide-spread problem with OS X Mavericks (not just unique to me). The only two viable solutions I have come across so far are: (1.) Wiping your HD and installing an older version of OS Lion, or (2.) buying more RAM.

Option #1 is not acceptable to me (and Apple should be embarrassed by this "fix" being recommended out there).

Option #2 is obviously not desireable (I don't feel like shelling out $200 thanks soley to Apple's new OS update), plus I'm not 100% convinved yet that this is even the problem or the solution yet. I only have 4 GB of RAM, but when I'm having these problems I still have at least a couple hundred GBs of free RAM available. I would think this is enough to stream HD video, no?

Also, it's not a Silverlight problem, and this is not a browser problem, as some have suggested. I have followed the instructions for re-installing the latest Silverlight plug-in, and I have also tried 3 different browsers (Chrome, Safari, and Firefox), yet nothing has helped.

I have also spent several hours with Apple Support online and after several attempted fixes (including re-installing OS X 9.7.3 of Mavericks), nothing worked and the Apple support person said it's a Netflix problem --- and this is despite the fact that I'm having the same problem with other HD video websites, like Hulu and Amazon Prime.

Has anyone figured out a fix for this yet???

P.S. Installing OS X Mavericks was easily the worst computer-related decision I have ever made since being a Mac user.

danlocke

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
UK
Sorry to bump and old (ish) thread, but I've got this same issue with a brand new 2.4/8/256 rMBP on 10.9.4.

Every time I try and watch something on Netflix, the loading wheel spins briefly then silverlight crashes... No joy in Safari or Chrome.

Has anyone fixed this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.