Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinksalamander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
I just got a new Macbook and I'm loving it! I also have a desktop PC, although I much prefer using the Mac I have some programs and such that can only be on PC or that I cannot afford to buy for Mac...

The one issue about having a laptop is that I find typing when at my desk quite difficult, and have started getting back and shoulder ache from leaning forward to type...

I thought about getting a wireless keyboard (and maybe a mouse too) so that I can use a keyboard for the Mac when at my desk. The thing is, I already have a PC keyboard and mouse on my desk and have limited space.

Is there an option for a wireless keyboard that is compatible for both PC and Mac? And is it possible to have one keyboard and mouse for two computers? I probably won't be using the two at the same time ever.

Anyone got any solutions?

Thanks.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Sharing the keyboard or mouse is easily accomplished with an a/b switch like this one: link. I would imagine PC and Mac keyboards are pretty much interchangeable, but you would need to check with the specific vendors to see how special keys are mapped, like which key is the command key mapped to on a PC keyboard.

pinksalamander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Thanks for your speedy replies.

Sorry, I'm not very good with hardware...

So I'm assuming the wireless part of the keyboard plugs into a USB (kinda like a memory stick?) and transmits to the keyboard? So with that switcher thing, that would plug into my PC (because it does not move) and then the USB or 'wireless' part of the keyboard would plug into the switch?

Is it easy to set up? I'm sure I can figure it out, but hardware related stuff always makes my mind boggle... at least I can come on here and ask for help!

Thanks.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
The wireless keyboard/mouse should have a transmitter with a USB cable that handles both the keyboard and mouse. Connect that to one side of the switch, then run two cables out the other side, one to your laptop and the other to your desktop.

pinksalamander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Thanks! Sounds like a plan. I'll just have to find a keyboard and mouse set that I like that is compatible for both now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.