Any solve for the wifi issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macnewb401, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Macnewb401 macrumors newbie

HELLLO! I recently purchased a macbook air and it worked fine. Realized it didn't have enough power so I swapped it for the macbook pro 2011.
    I seem to lose wifi every 10 minutes haha.
    I've been searching the web for hours. I tried zapping the pram. I thought it worked but 20 minutes later dropped the wifi again.
    Tried reinstalling the ox. no good.
    I tried it without installing the updates. no good
    tried it with all the updates installed. no good
    haha any idea?
    I just got the macbook pro with an external monitor. I thought the wifi might have been a problem with the external monitor attached but tried it without it of course and still no good.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for any help. I have been longing to use this machine for so long. Now that I got it...my heart has sank haha

2. iMackPro macrumors 6502

This is just a speculation but i have had the following problems before and this is how my situation ended up:

I tried all of what you were doing and it didn't help me either, then i tried resetting my router and modem, to no avail.

Then i called Cox (of whoever your ISP is) and told them my problem. They ran diagnostics on my modem and told me i had a 3 second IP address. Now what this means i have no idea, but it resulted me in loosing connectivity to the internet often and randomly. Im willing to bet you have a bad IP even if its just with that one computer..

Sooo id recommend:
    Calling your ISP and demanding them to perform a complete reset on your modem (yes they can do it a way from their computer thats different than you unplugging it) and tell them you want a new IP. after they do that unplug everything for about 20 seconds then when you plug the new router and modem in be sure to plug the modem in FIRST! im 90% sure this will fix your problem!

lucky you! its not your mac after all!

3. Macnewb401 thread starter macrumors newbie

HEY THANKS A LOT I actually completely forgot about my router. Seeing as the macbook air was working fine I figured it was just going to be a macbook problem. I am not positive yet if it is fully working (Been on for about 20 minutes now and no disconnection) but I will be back to report if that was the issue.
    THANKS AGAIN.

4. Macnewb401 thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way I meant, all I did was reset the router in the back myself haha

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I've never used wifi - but if Apple gets enough complaints, I'm sure they would do a recall and put out a free fix and then get to the bottom of things with the company they outsource the manufacturing to.