Any Sony NX5U camera users here

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MacBookProzak, Oct 31, 2013.

1. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

Just want to see if there were any users here that use the Sony NX5U camera?

If you do, what are some things that a newbie to this camera should know that you have found out in the course of using this camera.

Perhaps there may be some additional tips for scenarios like, ENG, interviews and man on the street type stuff.

Also, is have a Sony wireless lav and handheld to use with it.

Been enjoying the results thus far, yet thought it may be a huge benefit to ask for some best practices that other users of this camera have found.

All the footage out of this camera will ultimately be edited in FCPX

- Thanks everyone

PS: Any accessories beyond wireless mics that you have found to be great when using this camera?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

The only two things I can think of to add are

1) "Clipwrap" is the best software to use if you shoot AVCHD. It can convert AVCHD to .MOV files as quickly as a normal file copy. So use Clipwrap to move the data from the memory cards to where ever you like to archive your data. Then keep it as a .mov archive. Clipwrap does NOT transcode the video so there is zero loss of quality

FCPX will allow you to directly edit the .mov files or it will transcode to prores and you can edit while it transcodes in the background. FCPX can actually use the AVCHD files not they make a poor archive format

2) The other point is to say is that you can NEVER have enough audio equipment. As an example Some one loaded me a Tram TR50 microphone. Now I'm spoiled and think my Sony, and AT microphones sound like crap. I also just bought a Rode NT1-A for voice over and what a difference. It makes even me sound listenable. A few audio upgrades will make you product a lot better. The audience does not seem to be able to see video quality but they noise tiny audio deferences, nothing make your work seem cheap and amateurish more then sub-par audio.

The other thing WELL worth getting is Izope's "RX3" if you record interviews on the street RX3 is like magic for removing noise. As tested it my recording inside a room with industrial machines that were at about -12dB on my meter. It was loud noise why about where any sane videographer would ever try and record. The software turned it from way-loud to just "in the background".

3. floh macrumors 6502

Sorry, but I have to jump in here and disagree. Clipwrap is a great software if you threw away your AVCHD folder structure and need something to save your day. But it does not copy all the metadata (e.g. framewise timecode is lost), and if the OP uses FCPX, it will do the trick just fine. You can import "Original Media" into FCPX, which will do the exact same thing (rewrap into a .mov container without reencoding). You can then archive the .mov files from within the FCPX folders if you want to, and will have saved $50 and retained all the metadata.

As long as you make sure that "AVCHD files" does not mean ".MTS files somewhere in the AVCHD folder structure", and you keep the whole folder structure as backup, FCPX will absolutely be able to handle these backups.

There is a lot of confusion out there about AVCHD, so I had to throw in my two cents.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Very good point however sometimes FCP X chokes on certain types of AVCHD. I know from frustratingly long amounts of time that one Panasonic camera I have to frequently edit footage from never works with FCP X, always have to use Clip Rewrap...its terrible. I think AVCHD is horrible for non-delivery, why not just shoot in .mp4's with the metadata in the file as a stream? Its easily done...

5. floh macrumors 6502

Oh, that blows. Never had any problems with my Canon camcorder files. But I have to admit I never tried the Sony that this thread is about. So anyone here with experience?

Well, AVCHD was invented by Panasonic and Sony (that makes your problems with Panasonic kind of ironic, doesn't it?), mostly for recording to, and there are some nice features in there that MP4 can not do: Infinitely long recordings (the stream files can be several, but it shows up as one clip), and framewise precise timecode, just to name two.

But I agree, for most purposes it is terrible. Especially since officially it doesn't allow for very high bitrates and resolutions, both of which are on their way.

6. MacBookProzak thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your insights on this camera. I have been enjoying the results thus far with this camera. When it comes to the import of footage I convert it all to Pro Res and a Proxy, so I have not dealt with anything negative there.

The thing I am hearing about is using the Picture Profile setting that I can save in the camera. This is an intriguing area of the camera to create some really good results. If anyone has any insights on creating there, perhaps a good all around outdoor PP an an indoor one, that would be great and I can experiment from there.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have an NX5U..I don't really use it anymore as work gave me an EX1R to use (how nice!)
    Its nice, the images are good, not as nice as the ex1r but really good. AVCHD is a pain to work with compared to XDCAM. I hope you have a a very very large HDD. The camera does have some flaws, the remote jack on the handle is flimsy and broke on me. Also the SD door is flimsy and broke off so I had that replaced. I since taped down the door flap as i mostly use the Flash module....
    For a hand held mic, if your in noisy environments I would looking into getting a Sennheiser MD46 mic. I'm constantly amazed at what it doesn't pick up.

I've used this profile from DVinfo link