Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
My job requires Cisco AnyConnect Mac, to allow my iMac to remotely access my work computer (Windows PC). Any speculation as to whether an Apple ARM iMac, whenever that might be released. be able to run Cisco AnyConnect for the Mac?

Thanks.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
My job requires Cisco AnyConnect Mac, to allow my iMac to remotely access my work computer (Windows PC). Any speculation as to whether an Apple ARM iMac, whenever that might be released. be able to run Cisco AnyConnect for the Mac?

Thanks.

I would expect them to update it for ARM Macs. My work also uses AnyConnect and if Cisco didn’t update it, they would lose a decent sized customer

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013

I see some old references implying there was a POWERPC version of Cisco AnyConnect which ran on x86 Macs using the original Rosetta emulation. If true, it's plausible the much more sophisticated Rosetta2 emulator on upcoming Apple Silicon Macs might run the current x86 version of AnyConnect with good performance.

Obviously an Apple Silicon native version of AnyConnect would be preferred, and the XCode porting techniques shown at WWDC imply this will often be a rapid process. Until that is available, most x86 MacOS apps should run fairly well with Rosetta2.

This instructional video by a C++ programmer describes why Rosetta2 will be so efficient:

Reactions: vigilant

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
Until Apple releases ASi Macs for purchase on the open market, everything is speculation...

Cisco is a lot ore predictable than Apple. If someone asked them if they plan to move AnyConnect to AS Macs, I imagine they'd tell you. And tell you yes.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks.

Put it to you this way, the only reason why they wouldn't want to update it is if they were pulling out of the platform altogether. That being said, that's highly unlikely, so I'd expect a native Apple Silicon version at some point. That being said, I can't imagine that the Intel version won't run just fine under Rosetta 2. It's not like AnyConnect is a terribly resource intensive application.

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Starting this fall, millions of ARM Macs will begin shipping to customers. Many of those will be going to business users. If there is no support on day 1, corporate IT departments will turn the flames up to 11 on Cisco.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I see some old references implying there was a POWERPC version of Cisco AnyConnect which ran on x86 Macs using the original Rosetta emulation. If true, it's plausible the much more sophisticated Rosetta2 emulator on upcoming Apple Silicon Macs might run the current x86 version of AnyConnect with good performance.

Emulation probably isn't the core issue. Cico VPN software has hiccuped before on major OS updates in terms of support. With respect mac OS 11 this is even bigger. Apple is doing a major overall of the kernel extension API with macOS 11. ( in fact most stuff is pragmatically being kicked out of kernel into a "in between" zone. Prviledge but no "free reign" down in the kernel. )

Rosetta2 isn't going to magically get any app with that task out of the that "hole". Apple didn't change the kernel structure at the same tine they shifted from PPC to x86. There are different issues this time. Apps which much around with the lower levels of the networking stack is probably have substantive work to do.

Eventually Cisco will probably get something out, but it may not arrive when the first Apple Silicon Mac start to ship to the public. This isn't one of the "fall out of bed in the morning" easy apps to port. ( to Intel macOS 11 either.)

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
AnyConnect uses a kernel-extension (without it, it does not work correctly at all). I doubt Rosetta2 can translate a kext.

But as Cisco themselves have reportedly a couple of thousand Macs (mostly laptops) deployed, they will get it done at some point.
Just not on day 1.

AnyConnect already exists as iOS app, so they don't have to start at zero.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
AnyConnect uses a kernel-extension (without it, it does not work correctly at all). I doubt Rosetta2 can translate a kext.

But as Cisco themselves have reportedly a couple of thousand Macs (mostly laptops) deployed, they will get it done at some point. Just not on day 1...

Apple deprecated certain kernel extensions in 2019 at WWDC. Since some of those will stop working on x86 Big Sur, if AnyConnect uses those and Cisco doesn't have those re-written by then it may cause problems -- totally aside from Apple Silicon Macs. That means everyone running AnyConnect and using a new x86 Mac (which will ship with Big Sur) may encounter that problem, maybe around October.

Apparently there will be a manual procedure to enable those kexts on x86 Big Sur, but that would be a lot of support calls for Cisco. Possibly after Big Sur the kexts would stop working totally. It is much easier to develop a system extension than a kernel extension.

Once Cisco fixes the kernel extension issue (which will affect all Macs, not just x86) if AnyConnect is built as a universal binary it will probably work on Apple Silicon Macs also. Or it's possible the fixed x86 binary will then run under Rosetta2.

2019 WWDC: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/702

2019 WWDC "Network Extensions for the Modern Mac": https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/714

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
It probably will eventually, but seeing as you need it for your job, just don’t upgrade to an AS mac until what you need is fully supported on it.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014

Thanks.
I’m in the same boat, but with another security provider. It remains to be seen when they manage to switch to user space networking drivers, but I don’t see it as likely at all that these huge companies would decide they don’t want Apple users’ money anymore.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
With the amount of people carrying MacBooks in the business world I'm damm sure they will don't worry.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Cisco has already quietly announced that they’ll be supporting the new driver kext-less driver architecture in Big Sur. Probably by the time it launches.

I would guess they’re doing an ARM version at the same time, but even if they aren’t, a kext less VPN driver under Big Sur should work fine in Rosetta.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Related?: [I infer from this that Cisco is actively working to get the software running on Apple Silicon]

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
Cisco has already quietly announced that they’ll be supporting the new driver kext-less driver architecture in Big Sur. Probably by the time it launches.

I would guess they’re doing an ARM version at the same time, but even if they aren’t, a kext less VPN driver under Big Sur should work fine in Rosetta.

They'd be mad to re-write it without the kext dependency and not include a native Apple Silicon version while they were at it.

TynH

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
Any news on this? I’ll absolutely *need* AnyConnect support by the end of next month or borrow a WinTel machine.

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
We use it for our system at work. It works fine on my M1 MBA under Rosetta 2.

Edited to add: Running version 4.9.04043

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 12.37.34.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 12.37.34.png
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Reactions: SuperMikey

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
For my work place to work remotely, we use a Mac VPN client (Fortinet) to gain access to our desktops as well as the servers.

For making VOIP phone transfers to our Macs we use the Cisco Jabber client and it works well on the M1 Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.