Any Speculation For The Release Date Of The New PS3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Orange™, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Orange™ macrumors 6502

Unlike macs, I'm not too sure when the refresh date of systems fall on. Is there a system buyers guide that will tell me when the last refresh was and when the next is expected? Perhaps a person with knowledge could help me out here.

I'm looking to buy a PS3, is now a good time? :apple:

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3

We've had the Slim PS3 models since the end of 2009. Ergo, they are going nowhere any time soon, and there won't be any kind of refresh - probably not until the PS4 is released now.

Consoles simply don't change as much as computers - they produce a baseline hardware specification and that's it. There's usually a single revision mid-way through the lifepsan to reduce size/cost/noise/power consumption and that's it. A PS3 bought today still has the same CPU and GPU as one bought in 2006.

The end line is that yes, now is a good time to buy.

3. theLaika macrumors newbie

theLaika

Sony have a roughly 10-year console window. There is no trouble with buying a new PS3. All three gaming console manufacturers will probably try to get as much out of the whole motion-control phenomena as they can and that means technical power isn't a priority, hence, current systems do just fine with added peripherals.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If they support the PSP up to 2015 I'll eat my hat.

Usually Sony release a new console every 6 years.

PS1- 1994
    PS2- 2000
    PS3- 2006
    PS4- 2012?

PSP-2005
    PSP2/that phone- 2011?

I doubt we'll see another update until the PS4. It doesn't need one (it's small enough, no RRoD problems etc).

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The big problem with 2012 as a date is that we have literally only just had Move appear on the scene - and unless Sony are going to stick with the current Move setup for the PS4 then we can clearly see the PS4 is actually being held off on for another few years. Move is basically a console life-span extending accessory.

Same goes for Kinect - the 360 S isn't exactly old, and Kinect has just landed. Can't see Microsoft ditching the current set up for another 2-3 years. Both companies will try and get as many sales as possible - especially as R&D costs have been higher this generation, and for Sony they were losing money on hardware for a long time. Got to recoup it back!

My reckoning is that we'll get a new PlayStation in 2014 - announced in 2013. By then 3D should be embedded into households to a far greater extent, and HD should be everywhere. Microsoft will try and get in a bit earlier, so I'd peg their new system at late 2013, and probably directly Kinect compatible.

As for Nintendo? They'll probably just release a green Wii and tell us to make do.

6. apolloa, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

No they aren't in terms of physical size, Sony change the hardware along the way and the current CPU and GPU's are smaller etc. Won't make any different to the games though, and your right on just buy a PS3.
    I think we may see a PS4 in 2013. PSP2 will be announced on Thursday with a bit of luck and the PSP phone will be announced next month at MWC again with luck.