Any speculation on a price drop for the Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CuriousMacster, Apr 1, 2009.

1. CuriousMacster macrumors newbie

With the new 'Mac Rumor' of the Mac Pro possibly getting bumped up to 3.2Ghz and the Quadro FX 5800, and also the Nehalem to come out for notebooks (which I'm sure might include Mac Mini and iMac); Does anyone have a good idea if there might be a drop in price on the base line Mac Pros i.e. Quad-Cores and the 2.26 Octo? And if so when?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Never. That rumor is bogus and Apple NEVER drops the prices of their computers while they are the current line.

Nehalem will get a price drop when Westmere comes out next year.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

Agreed. Depending on the markets, they may, at some point, add the 3.2 and possibly compress down the prices under it (though I expect the 3.2 to still cost more than does the 2.93 now).

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Well, I think if they don't then they're going to be shooting themselves in the foot. I guess unit sales in 09 will drop by at least 50% from the 08 tally if they don't.

5. cmaier macrumors G3

1) your guess - fair enough. Seems a bit extreme.
    2) even if they lose a lot of sales, that's a small percentage of their business (that's my guess) and the profit margin seems to be higher than last year, so the percentage lost profits is less than the percentage lost sales.
    3) they have to charge so much to make the imacs look cheap :)

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why? Everyone is complaining that the 2.93 is too expensive. The 3.2 would be MORE, and the Quadro FX 5800 is STUPIDLY expensive.

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

People are probably wishing for the 3.2 GHz to replace the 2.93 GHz, the 2.93 to replace the 2.67, and the 2.67 to replace the 3.2.

But remember what happened with Clovertown…

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah... I just think people aren't going to allow it. We're creatures of habit. This reminds me of when Return Of The Jedi opened in Japan. There was such anticipation that most of the movie theaters doubled the price of the movie-tickets and set up three lines of red-rope stretched out all the way around the block to channel all the people. I went when it was supposed to be the busiest (only because I couldn't get off at another time) and no one showed up. There were 15 other people in the theater besides me and my friends. All across Japan it was a most dismal opening. When the price came down they were packed. But that's Japan... I only assume Americans and Europeans are thrifty and discerning as well.

I could be wrong and like cmaier says they're selling so many songs at a buck a piece it may not even matter to them. I matters to me a little tho. ;)

9. ZunePod macrumors regular

It's like £2,000?

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, I think it's not total tho. I mean isn't the Quadro FX 5800 essentially the same price as whatever the hottest Quadro was in 2007? at it's debut - just the new one is 2x faster? If the price is more than about a 5% increase then it's the economy.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah. The card is. That's most of the price of the computer or half the price of the computer, depending on your configuration. It isn't worth it. It does not give any benefit whatsoever. It only has specialized drivers. No one would buy it.

12. CuriousMacster thread starter macrumors newbie

If only Apple would make a more consumer friendly tower. Like a Mac Pro Mini! I like the sound of that!

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome to every xMac discussion ever. Apple has already given us what they think the xMac is.

14. CuriousMacster thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I've read those forums as well. Just felt like bringing it up in this one.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's not really relevant, though. ;)

The current quad-core Mac Pro is what Apple considers the xMac. It is $1,000 more than people were expecting, so they're mad.

Which makes no sense, since if you're mad that Apple is charging you more for something you wanted than what you wanted to pay, you don't know Apple.

16. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

What happened with Clovertown?

17. CuriousMacster thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not mad. I just continue to be a wishful thinker which never seems to be a good thing when it comes to Apple products. But that still won't make me buy a Windows based machine. :p haha

Edit: I don't mean Apple hardware in this statement, just prices. I've never had any issues with what Apple makes for the professional or the modern day consumer.

18. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Tall... Yeah, that card is $3,500.00 :D
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-quadro-fx-5800,6580.html

But that's my point. So was the 5600 in 07. Previous releases too. All about $3,000.00+ until we go back to when the inflation wasn't that high. I can remember a release in 2003 or there abouts, that was only $2,800.00 ;)

19. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The 3.0 GHz Clovertown was put as an addition to the line, rather than replacing a Woodcrest.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've seen some talks or speculations that they might drop the prices come this June.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The price of the current base machines would be dropped as long as they sit in the clearance section of the Apple store while the new machines take their place at usually the same price.

22. Jouhne macrumors member

I know when the price will drop !

When they'll go on ebay in 2 or 3 years ;)