Any speed increase 512 vs 256?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wowee, May 26, 2015.

1. wowee macrumors member

Hi,

So sorry if this has been answered but I'm having a hard time finding this information both on this forum and online.

Am wondering if there is a noticeable speed increase in read/write performance when getting the 512 vs 256 model of the new macbook - lets say both are configured with 1.3 processors.

Also, any noticeable battery drain in the 1.3 vs 1.2/1.1?

I was fortunate enough to finally try out LR CC on the macbook 1.3 ghz today. I found the develop module to be totally usable. Yes there was a little lag when using the "brush" or healing brush tool, but slider adjustments were very usable. I was editing 98 RAW images from my canon 6D. Export time was horrible, but I'm not concerned about that since i am looking for a "commuter" machine. I have a maxed out 15Pro at home.

Anyone have any experience with the battery life when using LR? I noticed the CPU was being maxed out at all times when in develop module.

Any noticeable diff between 1.1-1.3 in this mode?

Trying to get best performance and better life for my needs (making edits, NOT exporting).

Thanks for any help. I have read many posts here and haven't found these answers so sorry if its a repeat.

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I have not noticed any more battery drain with the 1.3 than the 1.2. Yes, Lightroom does use the battery faster than just web browsing, but no worse than on a rMBP. I was going through a large catalog today reviewing and deleting photos for about 3 hours. It used about 50% of the battery doing this. The bottom was warm but on a rMBP the fan would have been howling.

3. wowee thread starter macrumors member

thoughts?

Thanks for the response. Which configuration did you get? I actually ended up buying a macbook air 11 i7 today to test drive for the 14 days. There is ZERO lag and its is very very fast but I'm missing the retina. Are u happy with your Macbook retina? The macbook is definitely not as snappy but its not awful either and the screen is PERFECT. Ugh why can ti get the next version now!

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I've had both the 1.2GHz / 512GB SSD and the 1.3GHz / 512GB SSD.

5. wowee, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015

wowee thread starter macrumors member

thoughts?

What are your thoughts between the two? Did u notice a difference in speed?

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The 1.3 is a very small amount faster. As in just a hair faster, in most cases you aren't going to notice it. If you are price sensitive then it's not worth getting the 1.3GHz, however if you just want the fastest there is no reason not to get it.

7. wowee thread starter macrumors member

thoughts?

but you notice a little less "lag" in the devlope module? any idea if the 512 is faster than the 256? And you're saying no difference in battery life?