Any standalone origami style stands?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jaseone, Aug 12, 2011.

1. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I love the Incase Origami case for my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard but also want something similar to act as a standalone stand for the iPad, something slim I can throw in my bag and use as a portable stand both to prop it up like a frame and to lay it at a slight angle for typing. Does anything like that exist?

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Winner of the least expensive such device as far as I can tell is the BlueLounge "Nest." Haven't seen or used one in person but at $15 it looks like it might fit your needs.

http://www.bluelounge.com/products/nest/

For more money there's the TwelveSouth foldable stand. ($40)

http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-South-Compass-Portable-Stand/dp/B003XQMUVA

Both look like they're small enough to toss in a bag when you don't want to carry a keyboard. Neither, though, is similar to the Origami Workstation in design. I agree that a stand that folds flat and unfolds into a stand would be a useful little accessory.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

Bookgem is a fabulous product. I originally bought it to hold books (best bookstand ever), then I used it with my Kindle DX, and now I use it with my iPod and iPad. It is really well built and very compact.

http://bookgem.com/

The video is quite nice. It really is that easy.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Good catch. I wouldn't be so presumptuous to question Palpatine's judgment. I've found his posts pretty unerring. :)

5. jaseone thread starter macrumors 65816

jaseone

Thanks for the recommendations, The Bookgem looks like the closest fit for my needs as I want something lightweight, do you know if that is available at retail anywhere?

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

LOL. Very kind of you, but I only happened upon the product by luck. Actually, I went through several bookholders over the years based on glowing reviews for (what I thought were) awful products. Then, one day I saw someone in the library with this and my jaw dropped. If you saw some of the stuff I bought you would know why. Amazingly, it is so well designed that it has stayed with me through my transition from dead tree books to a paperless life. I'm a big fan of any product that is this well-designed.

You can get it through Amazon, but not at any brick and mortar stores. I think you'll have to pay for shipping, which stinks. However, if it makes you feel any better, they back up their product 100 percent for life. I had to replace one of the little rubber feet and they shipped a few out to me in Japan ASAP for free. How cool is that?