any STOCK update in Portland area?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by delacruzjeff, Mar 14, 2011.

1. delacruzjeff macrumors member

we're planning to cross the border this weekend and just curious as to how is the stock update in the Portland area? i'm looking for 64 or 32gb AT&T version.

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

There isnt a single person who knows how stock is. That's why everyone else is still searching.

3. delacruzjeff thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

If anyone just called or been to any Apple Store or Bestbuy in Portland area to please post here any updates.

4. robbyneal macrumors member

If you call the portland apple store, extension 3, the recorded message says "hi today is march 14th, hours are 9 am to 6 pm."

This message is a little confusing, it does not clearly state that these hours are for tomorrow, although that is what I am assuming. I also called a couple hours ago and the employee had no idea about the early 9 am opening or if there would be stock.

But there is hope!

5. robbyneal macrumors member

Oh, and is this portland maine? because thats what Im talking about

6. delacruzjeff thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Portland, OR

7. goMac macrumors 603

No stock anywhere as of this morning.

Good luck. I live here and I can't even get my hands on one.

8. krnboy503 macrumors regular

All three Apple stores in Portland are Sold out, including the ones they keep in the back for DOA replacements.

9. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I went to both Bridgeport Village and Washington Square this morning and both didn't have any. Has anyone gotten anyone at a store to say what they are doing? Are they selling stock when it comes in or holding anything until the morning?

10. goMac macrumors 603

Pioneer Place is also still out. Was told to call this afternoon, but I'm not betting they'll have stock. No word on their plan, but it sounds like Pioneer Place is not holding until mornings, which makes it a PITA.

Fortunately I live/work close enough to Apple Stores that I can lay siege to them. :) If anyone sees a slightly still asleep looking mid twenty year old with a Macbook Pro in line before store opening that's probably me. :)

11. hismikeness macrumors regular

I may have been directly behind you both times. I did the same. Bridgeport at 8:30am when an Apple Store employee notified the three people waiting that there were no iPads, and they don't know what they're getting later, if anything. Curiously, they said they would still open at 9am, which I thought weird.

I went to Washington Sq. mall and saw a lot of cars in the parking lot and started worrying that this one was the one that must've gotten product and there would be a line. Nice looking cars they were. When I got inside, the mall walking 50-somethings (to be polite, probably) outnumbered the line for Apple Store 6 to 1. There was about 10 people around the Apple Store door. I didn't speak to Apple staff (there was two, both consumed with whatever was going on with their iPhones, right in front of the door. Inside, employees prepped for the day by polishing the computers and wiping fingerprints off stuff).

I unintentionally (at first) overheard a conversation between two people trying to get to the bottom of the intricacies of Apple's shipping/delivery system when I heard that Target might have the 16gb whites, incidentally my second choice (I wanted the 32/white with an orange cover). Both places, everyone was courteous. The guy telling the other guys that no distribution center alerts their distributaries as to what they will receive on a daily basis could CLEARLY tell I was eavesdropping and before mentioning Target, hinted at least a couple of times that they "might get some today, so I'm gonna stick it out," or "just order it online, because it's going to be a guessing game for the next month or so".

Anyway, I bolted to Target nearby, was told they just sold their last (and third) of the morning, but the clerk in electronics (awesome job, if you're reading, I won't say your name) called the other stores in the area for me. They wouldn't hold one, but he was calling to confirm what the computer said about inventory levels. Verdict: Go to the Clackamas location. They have 3 of the 32gb black (I wanted white, but not more than I wanted my first iPad), 7 total.

He checked the one a little further north, called them, and they had 5 total. So there were some out there. (All delivered by FedEx, both to anyone getting them at home or businesses getting maybe 8 at a time) I got to the electronics department of the Target in Clackamas after 20 minutes or so, and saw a mother buying herself and her son (25 yrs old) new iPads, and the checker says "Enjoy your new 32gb iPads..." :eek:

I'm thinking I just saw the last two of the 32's and I was now going to have to decide if it's worth it to get a 64 with Verizon just to get one (trying to justify it... "I haven't budgeted for it, but I have some of it"...) and knowing I will cave or pressing my luck at a different Target. Luckily they still had one. Ironically a guy came in behind me and I heard him say he wanted the 32, but still settled on the 64 Verizon, only once he knew there were only 2 overall left. 10 minutes later, while we were waiting to get ours from the back (it sounded like they just had got them, maybe an hour earlier) a lady came in and bought the last one.

Hit Best Buy for a case, because Target had only the original iPad cases; no smart covers. BB only had pink and gray left (actually lots of pink) and I took the penultimate gray on the rack.

Basically for Portland, good luck if you didn't get one today. If you did, you got one of the maybe 50 that were out there, or you pre-ordered on day one, and FedEx left you one.

Give it until tomorrow, and there will be more. Probably 50-ish at a time.

Sync is done... gonna play with my iPad. First order of business... 20 bucks to Japan.

12. goMac macrumors 603

Sounds like we're all bothering the same people. Probably tired of us by now. :)

13. delacruzjeff thread starter macrumors member

thank you. i still give it a try when i get there. if not then i'll just order it online when it launches here in Canada.

14. goMac macrumors 603

Standing in line at Pioneer Place, not sure what happened, there was no line yesterday. Assuming this means they have stock.

Edit: 15 iPads, all Verizon flavored, all spoken for.