Any success using blacksn0w for the unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jayeskreezy, Nov 3, 2009.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Does anyone have any success using blacksn0w for the unlock?

2. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

I am also curious if anyone has success stories to share and also if the "native tethering" works as promised with the new blackra1n/blacksn0w?

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I cant comment on tethering but minus the time to do a DFU clean restore I was jailbroken within seconds after rebooting I loaded the blackra1n app and installed cydia and blacksn0w without rebooting the iphone am now up and running with 3.1.2 and latest baseband.

Really couldn't of been any easier, hats off to geohot for making it soooo easy

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I am also curious how to do native tethering.

I jailbroke my phone with this and it was SOOOOO EASY. Like beyond easy. Like push 1 button and done easy.

Didn't try the unlock but I'm sure it works just as flawlessly as the jailbreak.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

6. pbateman macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have a couple of noob questions. I unlocked and jailbroke my phone before the 3.1 update, so currently my phone is jailbroken and unlocked (tested unlock with Tmobile SIM).
    Currently my firmware version is 3.0.1 and my firmware version is 04.26.08.
    I haven't updated to 3.1 yet since I heard I would lose my unlock by doing that.

1)Does this release mean that I can now update to 3.1.2 trough itunes and then use blackra1n and blacksn0w to jailbreak/unlock again?

2)I've heard issues with battery life etc with 3.1.2 and there aren't really any new improvements I can think of in 3.1.2 can I just stay unlocked/jB in 3.0.1 instead, at least until a new version of the OS comes out (and gets jb/unlocked) thats actually worth upgrading to?

Thanx!

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yes you can upgrade to apples 3.1.2 stock firmware then run blackra1n hit make it rain and it will reboot your iPhone into recovery mode and it will soon pop a message up on screen saying done and wait for phone to reboot.

run blackra1n app on your device click on cydia and blacksn0w and then install button in top right corner... it will do what it needs to and respring and your good to go.

I cant comment on the battery yet I have only been unlocked for about 2 hours and the whole time I been plugged into pc on charge

8. iphone529 macrumors regular

I can comment on the battery life, when using pawnage on 3.1.2 the battery life was atrocious, got maybe 1-2 hours topps, with the blackra1n tool it has been much better, only 1/4 battery life gone and its been on for 7 hours now. It is also a 2 minute operation to jailbreak. This guy is a genius.

9. pbateman macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies! I think i'll give it a few days to see if there are any issues reported before I do it. To me the most important thing is the unlock, I will be traveling next month and plan on using a prepaid sim on my phone. This is why i had not upgraded yet to 3.1 yet...
    Thanks again!

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I was jailbroken on 3.1.2 with 5.11.07 using PwnageTool, and installed blacksn0w just now through Cydia. Three seconds later I am the proud owner of an unlocked 3GS. Didn't even require a reboot!

11. dread macrumors 6502a

my battery life seems to have improved since I used blackrain. Must be the sbsettings.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Installed blacksn0w and it seemed everything went well but now it's saying there's an upgrade for it and no matter how many times I upgrade that red badge won't go away.

Anybody else with this?

13. bmacir macrumors 6502

+ 1

Same here. It was a flawless process. THANKS GEOHOT!

14. bmacir macrumors 6502

Oh, I almost forgot: safari is definitely snappier now!

15. FastangV6 macrumors regular

FastangV6

lol :rolleyes:

16. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

tried respringing or rebooting?

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yup. Both.

18. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Jailbreak and Unlock successful

Working fine on Vodafone UK

Successfully installed custom IPCC file which works fine. Interestingly, before I applied my custom IPCC file, the option to setup Internet Tethering was available, but when I selected it, it said I had to contact Vodafone UK to set it up.

Could this be a sign of things to come?

19. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, 100% success, tested on Orange Pay Monthly and on Tesco PAYG in UK, both working fine.

Cydia loaded, OpenSSH loaded and tested.

It was all too easy and quick, now I can't think of what to do next..... :p

20. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

it is ridiculously easy with blackra1n you would question yourself..'is that it? am i jailbroken?'

21. giulianoaugusto macrumors member

I got native tethering through my carrier...will the update and the new unlock mess it up?

22. rogue7 macrumors member

super easy and smooth by far the easiest jailbreak out there and the unlock was smooth and simple works great!

23. Bakakage macrumors 6502

I installed it via Cydia and it worked great for me, got zero problems. No Wifi issues and tethering still works.

24. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

25. mrJnC macrumors regular

Any issues with Visual Voicemail for folks on AT&T?

Also, any problems with youtube?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe