Any Suggested Settings/Tips?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomamon, Aug 17, 2011.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Just wondering if there are any suggested settings for my MBP to get better performance out of it. I have the latest MBP and absolutely love it, as a matter of fact, I've pretty much given up on using Windows at all :)

As I am still learning the Mac and the O/S, I was just wondering if there is advice for a recent convert like myself.

Thanks and any advice is appreciated!

Tom

2. marc11, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011

marc11 macrumors 68000

There are tons of sticky posts for new users on this forum and TONS of videos and documents on Apples website for people moving from Windows to Mac. It appears you have been around here since 2008....you haven't picked up any tips since then? lol!!!! (kidding)

Regarding performance boost suggestions....What did you expect? You have a brand new very powerful machine that you just got and already you are asking for performance boost suggestions??? Maybe a MacPro would have been a better choice then? You didn't give any information regarding what you use the machine for, where you feel the performance is lacking or even the specs of the machine you have....my suggestion, USE IT!!!!!

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The system is already running as fast as it will, there's no setting you can change that will just boost performance (that's a bit vague anyhow).

4. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I set the trackpad to click when I tap anywhere on it.

I put the dock on the side to maximize vertical space

I believe I enabled all the gestures lol

Added a free app called Caffeine that, with one tap, prevents the computer from sleeping.

5. S7A2G6 macrumors member

S7A2G6

Tips...

The only thing I did when I switched to Mac was contact a Microsoft "dealer" and got a copy of Microsoft Office Blue. It is the whole office suite for Mac and it is free.

Also, it freaked me out to not have to clean this and defray that, so I got the "CleanMyMac" app, to make me feel like I am doing something...

Other than that, your Mac should love you as much as you love it.

When all else fails, call support. Sometimes I call just to have my faith restored with customer service. I wish every company had CS like Apple.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

You don't need "cleaner" apps to keep your Mac running efficiently.

7. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

What about power settings? Are the default the best, especially for when plugged in?

8. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

Why not customise them for how you work. I have mine set to never sleep or turn the screen off when on power.

9. swedefish macrumors 6502

Unless you just love flash ads, games and watch youtube all the time, I recommend the Click2Flash plugin which makes browsing in Safari a lot faster and more pleasant.