Any suggestions for a backpack/sleeve for a MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dschiller, Nov 17, 2007.

1. dschiller macrumors regular

Hi all:)

I'd like to purchase some protection/transport gear for my MB and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. I'm thinking of using a sleeve/backpack combo.

Has anyone used an Incase Neoprene Sleeve for the MB? Would you recommend it?

I'm also in doubt between the Brenthaven Expandable Trek and the STM Evolution. What do you guys think of these? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Daniel

EDIT: I now found out about the moshi codex 13. Will it work well as a MB sleeve?

2. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

I use the neoprene stuff and seems to work really good. It keeps your MB warm during winter :D

3. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

Does it add too much bulk to the MB? Do you think it'll still fit a backpack designed for the 13'' screen while inside the sleeve?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have the booq vyper and it is very very good indeed, offers decent protection, looks good and it really isn't that much bigger than the incase sleeves.

I also have a moshi codex on order that will arrive in the next couple of days so i can give a comparison then. In the mean time I'd suggest you check out some of Deuz Augustine's posts as he has one and absolutely loves it.

5. AppleNinja macrumors member

AppleNinja

6. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

It does but not much... I have a backpack that supposed to be designed for a 15" and the MB fits perfectly with the case. I really like it. I think that a backpack designed for a 13"er is going to be a little tight with the Incase neoprene thing...

7. dooker777 macrumors member

I'd get the brenthaven pro 15/17 from amazon. The extra protection is worth it. Plus these things last many years.

8. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

9. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I have the tucano second skin which I quite liked (cheap, decent quality,); had the incase for a while and loved that case it has a better padding than the tucano in my opinion.
    if you're interested I have also reviewed this case made by raedan (and honestly liked it a lot).

another case / bag which I am currently testing out is a case made by fabrixcases.com
    hopefully I'll be able to post a review on my blog soon.

as far as backpacks go...I am about to receive product samples from mac-case.com (the backpack and the sleeve) and will be publishing reviews also (probably next month).

10. theman macrumors 6502a

Check out the Isis sleeves. They're simple sleeves made of memory foam. It is MUCH more protective than the neoprene. I got one for my MBP and it's even better than I hoped it would be. Cheap too. only $26 shipped.

I just use it to stick my MBP in my backpack with all my books. It feels so protective, unlike the neoprene which doesn't seem like it does much to me. The memory foam is neat. Fits like a glove too.

www.isiscovers.com

http://www.isiscovers.com/list.php?class=memoryfoam

11. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for letting me know the Tucano Second Skin isn't as good as the Incase. That's one option eliminated. I went to the raedan website, but it's all in German, so it didn't help much :p

Great blog BTW

I don't really like the looks of them. Besides, I just want the sleeve to protect from scratches/very light bumps. The hard-work is supposed to be done by the backpack:D. Thanks for the input anyway

12. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone has experience with the STM Evolution? I'm inclined to use it together with the Incase Sleeve. Please let me know what you think of it.

EDIT: The reason I selected the 15'' MBP model as opposed to the 13.3'' MB one is because I want to use it together with the sleeve, and someone has mentioned the Incase Sleeve fits well on bags designed for 15'' laptops.

Cheers
    Daniel

13. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

I totally Love my Timbuk2 messenger, the laptop section is courderoy lined. I got it for my 15inch MBP but after I returned it I kept it for my Macbook and it doesn't slide around at all.

14. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

I think a backpack would be more practical for me than a messenger-style bag. Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.

Keep the ideas coming :)

15. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

http://fabrixcases.com/

have you checked out these cases yet?
    (I forgot to mention that raedan.de does not have a english version of their site yet...I think it's in the works though)

anyways,
    the fabrixcases bag/sleeve/case is pretty cool too...I think this one is my personal favorite so far (the inside material could have been more high quality in my opinion but the back pocket is just so useful; it has even a little pocket for the remote)

16. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

Are they really that good? They seem to be a bit too simple (they use velcro rather than a zipper) and they are quite expensive. In your opinion, are they better than the Incase Neoprene Sleeve? I don't really need pockets within the sleeve, for I'll be using it together with a backpack :p

17. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

well...
    the outside material is denim and has a nice touch - no complains here.
    what I think could have been better is the inside material they have used...it's polyester I think but for my taste it's a little too "hard" (makes some noise) if you know what I mean? It could have been a softer material and I would have loved it. the bag is manufactured very well though.

as far as the padding goes this one has pretty good padding and I think it's as good as the incase...maybe slightly better (but I have only used the incase for a couple of weeks - I have given it to a friend of mine so can't really check right now).

you are kind of right about the price...it's a bit high...I think it was about 40 USD? and delivery takes pretty long too...I had to wait like 3 - 4 weeks till it arrived but like I said for my needs I think this is the best suited case (the little compartment in the back is just very useful to store pens, ipod, kensington lock etc.)

in your case if you are just looking for a sleeve case to carry around in a backpack the incase might be the way to go though.
    what I kind of didn't like about the incase was however that the zippers didn't go down very far.

18. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

I see. Well, I guess I'm gonna settle for the Incase then. Thanks a lot for your help :D

Cheers
    Daniel

19. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

I've had an issue with the Dark red version of the Incase sleeve. It stains the MB on the sides... apparently the tint they use in the neoprene rubs off fairly easy. :confused:

So, I'll recommend NOT buying the red one. I was told by Apple that usually the other colors don't do that so much. ;)

20. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads-up, but I can't find the Dark Red version you're saying :confused:

I'm thinking of buying the black version with black interior. Do you think it'll be fine?

21. quinters macrumors newbie

my recommendation

My macbook is in a zeroshock III, which i decided on after extensive searching on the forums (i'm very picky).

I'm totally satisfied with it! It's semi-rigid, because instead of neoprene the padding is like memory-foam material in an egg-crate texture. Also, it opens up all the way, which is nice, and it has a nice little pocket on the side. I keep the apple remote, a flash drive, a cleaning cloth, blank cd/dvd, and my ipod cable in there no problem. The incase sleeves are sleek, but don't open all the way, don't have pockets (at least the ones i've seen) and feel a lot less secure.
    On top of that, it's just barely bigger than the computer - although I would watch out if you're looking at getting a bag with a sleeve built in. If the bag is designed for the macbook, then there probably won't be extra room. With this case though, you don't really need a laptop bag. I toss it in whatever bag I'm using that day, knowing it's safe.

hope this helps

22. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask you about the ZeroShock III.

- Has it got some sort of protection in order to protect the MB from the zipper?
    - Are you using it with a MB? Has it left any sort of mark/stain? It seems there are some cases of Incases's Sleeve staining MBs. Is that the case with the ZS III?

Thanks in advance

23. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Now, that's the one I had to buy from the Apple store a couple of days ago. They told me that the black one hasn't shown those signs of tint rubbing off. Apparently the red one is not being sold any more (my guess is, for a very good reason :D)

I say go for it.