Any suggestions for a new Mac user?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mdrei, Oct 24, 2008.

1. mdrei macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new Macbook (older version). It came with 1GB RAM and a 120GB HD. Before I get started I am going to upgrade the RAM to 4GB and the HD to 320GB (should arrive today).

I thought I'd follow the suggestion of another user and manually load the OS so that I can cherry pick languages and drivers, so to save space. Anything else, wrt a manual load, that would be a good idea?

I want to be able to view MS files (eg: Word, .wmv, etc) and Adobe files.
    Will my Mac decode .wmv out of the box or is there a mod required?

Is buying Office for Mac the best solution viewing Office docs? I rarely create docs but receive many via email and have hundreds on my HD that I'd like to view.

What about Adobe (.pdf) files?

I used Firefox on my latest MS laptop...do most Apple users find that the best?

Lastly, what are the basic first steps, after swapping out the HD and powering the unit ON, to load the Mac OS? Just need someone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any suggestions to any, or all, of the above. :apple:

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Word files can be handled mostly by the open source app Open Office, or the Office for Mac suite, or Pages in the Apple iWork suite.

PDFs will open with Preview, which comes with OS X. .wmvs can be run by Quicktime with FlipForMac, which is a download.

Firefox is a good browser on a Mac, as is Safari in most uses.

Installing, with the DVD already in the slot, hold the 'c' key down as you hit the power button. The computer will boot from the install disk. Format the drive according to what you'll be running, ie. how many partitions, will you need Fat 32 for Windows, UFS or HFS+ for Mac.

For the rest just follow the prompts.

3. timestoby macrumors 6502

sorry to intrude on ur thread,but is there a way to change the boot screen?

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

^You mean the first Apple screen that comes up, or the user login?

5. timestoby macrumors 6502

both me thinks

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

7. timestoby macrumors 6502

thanks,got that bootx changer and tried it and looks great with the rainbow logo.

8. mdrei thread starter macrumors newbie

partitions?

First, thanks to Jodelli for the great feedback!

Actually, one of your comments brings up a good question...

to save me from thinking too much, what MS apps are commonly used that would necessitate partitioning the HD?

My Macbook is for personal (non-work related) use however, I don't want to overlook a good reason for partitioning.

I have no idea what UFSor HFS+ are and I trying to justify setting up Fat 32.

Thanks.

9. eleven2brett macrumors regular

NeoOffice is the Open Office Mac specific build, use that. I use Firefox because of the addons, and because it kicks general butt. pdfs can be viewed with preview.

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

I don't know what a "manual install" is. You can't select drivers. but yes you can later delete languages you can't read. But the savings in space is trivial. With a 320GB drive you will get back less than 0.1% of the space. At today's prices the space saved cost maybe a couple cents. It is not worth even a few minutes of your time.

About MS format files:
    • the little app that comes with Mac OS X called WordPad will display most MS Word files just fine. Wait until you have a problem then get either MS Word, Apple's Pages or Open Office. OO is free the others cost $$ Box .doc files are displayable with just Mac OS X alone.
    • The Mac is very good with PDF files. PDF is Mac OS X's "native" format for display.
    • .WMV will require a free download from microsoft called "flip for Mac"

Most Mac users like Apple's Safari. Firefox is a close second.

11. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

You don't have to partition the drive unless you'll be dual booting Linux or Windows along with OS X. I wouldn't bother unless there was some app from another OS that you really need to be able to use. I would format with HFS+ myself for OS X.

12. ejket macrumors newbie

ejket

No, OpenOffice 3 is out and it's better than NeoOffice now.