Any suggestions for really quiet Mac Pro hard drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hecklerdanny, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

Hey everyone. Yesterday I brought home a brand new 2.66GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro. The Hitachi drive that it came with was unacceptably loud. It would crackle and pop endlessly at the slightest task, like opening Safari. I went and bought a 750GB Western Digital hard drive and installed that, and while it's certainly better, it still gives off an annoying amount of crackles and pops and "hard drive noise" at just about anything I do on the machine, let alone things that I DON'T do on the machine.

Does anyone have any solutions or recommendation for extremely quiet drives? Maybe I just got a bad Western Digital drive, because I've heard that they're supposed to be very quiet.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help/info that you can give.

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Hmm, Hitachi huh? See, I knew Apple wasn't exclusively using the WD Blacks. :p

For drive specs including noise check out Tom's Hardware:

Either here: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/enterprise-hard-drive-charts/benchmarks,27.html for enterprise HDDs

Or here: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/benchmarks,50.html for 2009 desktop HDDs.

You should be able to sort by decibel level and then compare the drives from there. Like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/Sound-Level,1032.html or something.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The forum users over at silentpcreview.com tend to know the best choices and there are a lot of user reviews there.

4. snakesqzns macrumors regular

snakesqzns

How about a solid state drive and drive bay adapter?

5. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Aren't your fans already louder then the HD's?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I know mine are and my fans are very quiet!

7. Hecklerdanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

No, my Mac Pro is dead silent other than the hard drive ticks and pops.

8. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

normal noise

You're probably hearing normal hard drive noise. Solid state is the only thing that'll totally stop it. Maybe don't let your HD's go to sleep (System PReferences > Energy Saver). Drives have to spin up and the actuators have to read the info. Not gonna get around that unless you go solid state as snakesqzns suggested.

9. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Wow, I'm jealous :p

Also I just flashed a 9800GT, and its fan runs at 100% 24/7. . . >.>