Any suggestions for speakers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by christall109, Apr 19, 2009.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

In about 4 months time I will be heading off to college. For the past 2 and half years I have been just using my MBP without any external speakers. I thought the sound was fine but lately I feel like I need something louder. So I was wondering if you guys can suggest any speakers that sound good (I'm not that picky about my audio but I do like quality), about $50-70 price range or even lower if possible. I just want something that would be good for listening to movies and music. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

2. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I too am curious what people suggest. I would not mind something that has a sub but I am leery of even more cords. I probably need to get a usb hub to cut down on most of it...

2.1 ? Can the MBP run a 5.1 system - as in are there any that reproduce sound correctly with only a single line out?

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I was looking for something ultra portable to pair with my netbook and wanted a complete USB solution... try the Tritton soundbite 2.1 USB system... I was very surprised at the sound (especially once I adjusted the onboard EQ)... it really filled the office nicely during lunch breaks!

...its inexpensive and total USB...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8811757

4. Shivetya macrumors 65816

5. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I love audio and thus I am a bit of an audiophile.

It is generally true that you get what you pay for. However, there are some good deals around on some mid-range products.

However, I consider Bose to be mid-range, so I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

6. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Haha I can see where this is going. Let the flaming begin...

"I love Bose OMGZ they are so high end!!!"
    "I hate Bose they SUCK!!!!"

Me personally, dont claim to know what Im talking about but that $99 set of Bose at Best Buy always sounded pretty nice to me.

7. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

klipsch 2.0s are fantastic speakers for the price. i think you can get them on amazon for like $70.

i am majoring in audio recording technology and know good speakers if that means anything.

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I got the $99 Bose Companions, thinking they would be decent. They were kind of crappy to be honest, I'd look into something else.

9. Nasty Roo macrumors member

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Unless you've got some gigantic speakers from the '80's (like me) a sub is a must. Personally, I think anything less than 5.1 is just a waste of money. When the 7.1 systems come down in price, I will definitely get one.

11. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

A Vote For Bose...

A year ago I was firmly in the anti-Bose camp, but I am now the very satisfied owner of a set of Bose Companion-3 (2.1) speakers. They sound amazing, light and airy highs and mids with a decent bass response. They go as loud as I'd ever want without distorting. And the best part, they have a remote (wired) volume pod with built-in Line-In / Headphone jacks right on the pod. Super convenient!

Twenty years ago I was a little suspicious of their Direct/Reflecting black magic in their 501's etc., but as far as I'm concerned they're doing something right with their line-up of computer speakers. Highly recommended! :apple:

12. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

13. Shivetya macrumors 65816

the only thing bose I like are those cd/radios - great gifts.

that and the two of forty made speakers that my uncle got

14. Moocher macrumors regular

You can get a lot better speakers for the money than Bose. Check out AVSforum.com for speaker recommendations.

Personally, you'll find dorms very noisy. I recommend some closed headphones such as the Beyerdynamic 770s. Much cheaper than speakers of comparable quality plus they'll block outside sounds and prevent others from hearing your music. They'll work with your media players, computers, tv systems, etc. A decent set of iems would also be a good idea. See www.head-fi.org.

Mooch

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow