Any suggestions for third party iPad insurance?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xl1ken, May 19, 2010.

1. xl1ken macrumors member

Apple does not cover broken glass and water damage. It does not also cover theft. Painfully I found this out when my (adult) daughter had her iPhone stolen when her car was stolen.

I noticed a few that cover "splash and spill" as well as theft. Any suggestions on who is the best and most trustworthy?

Thanks

Ken

2. Hellion macrumors member

Hellion

I've been getting Squaretrade warranties for all my i devices and electronics PERIOD. Haven't had to actually use it yet, but from their forums / FB page other folks have great service with them. They even cover accidental damage. $50 deductible I think if you wanna make a claim.

www.squaretrade.com

3. RalfTheDog macrumors 65816

RalfTheDog

Best advice I can give you is, don't.

These things are a rip off.

4. ManBearWaffle macrumors member

I have Apple Care, but SquareTrade seems to have a pretty good deal.

5. Houls macrumors member

I have a Squaretrade policy. $96 for two years with with accidental damage coverage. It does not cover loss however so if you lose it or it gets stolen you're out of luck....

6. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Safeware

Safeware (the computer insurance co) has added iPad coverage. For a top-of-the-line iPad (64g 3G) it's about $67 per year ($50 deductible). Covers theft and damage, basically everything. I was concerned about theft, so I went with Safeware.

7. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I'm worried about the screen getting damaged, rather than theft. Anything available in the UK?

8. Love Juice macrumors regular

call your insurance agent, ask them about a personal articles policy. i had one on my iphone, and it ran around $55/yr. it even covered "mysterious disappearances" (being lost or stolen). mine was through state farm.

9. jkrutch macrumors regular

I'm going with SquareTrade....when I get the next 30% coupon.

10. John Paul macrumors member

SquareTrade does NOT have any deductible. If you break your iPad, drop it in your pool, whatever, they either fix it (for free) or they issue you a refund check for the full purchase price you paid. However, SquareTrade does not cover loss/theft.

SafeWare, on the other hand, does cover loss/theft. However, with SafeWare there *is* a $50 deductible. And depending upon the model, more often than not SafeWare is going to cost your a little more for the same length of coverage.

I chose SquareTrade for my iPad policy, but either one seems like a pretty good deal. I do know SquareTrade is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau which makes me pretty confident that they will come through if I were to ever need to make a claim. I haven't researched SafeWare so I can't say one way or the other about them.

11. theman510 macrumors 6502

Squaretrade does use deductibles. $50 but only on cell phones which is nice. From their site:

"A $50 deductible applies on ADH-related claims for Cell Phones only. SquareTrade has waived the deductible for all other ADH claims. "

12. funkeruski macrumors regular

$55 a year for insurance on a $199 iPhone is ridiculous. This thread reminds me of a little old lady buying a $50 product at BB being suckered into buying an extended warranty for $20.

13. John Paul macrumors member

Since the OP was asking specifically about the iPad, that's why I wanted to point out there was no deductible.

14. theman510 macrumors 6502

I realized that, but some people (like myself) might have the iphone squaretrade warranty as well and could be confused. Since my iphone had a deductible I assumed the ipad did too.

15. bniu macrumors 6502a

most credit cards come with 90 days of insurance including loss/theft. I'd just go with that.
    What are the chances you'll lose/damage two ipads in one year?

16. xl1ken thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the spirited discussion and suggestions folks. To the few that say you don't need it, until you get one stolen that is easy to say. The iPad is a relatively expensive and much sought after item. I am sure there are many crooks out there just waiting to get one illegally (theft). Also the large glass screen lends itself to damage (if dropped for instance) than does an iPhone. $67 per year to protect your $830 iPad does not sound too out of line.

Ken

17. Gymgenius Suspended

I've been wondering about insurance on a UK based iPad.
    I found a company on the web who wanted £8 a month :eek:

I think I'm going to call the household insurance people and see if I can have it added on that.

18. Love Juice macrumors regular

Was actually for the original iPhone for $400. That is the minimum for a personal article policy. Also much better than the $200 for an out of warranty device or a lost one. There is also no deductible.

19. xl1ken thread starter macrumors member

Thank you and an FYI

I decided to go with Safeware. They include theft for the same price.

Now hoping they are reputable...

Ken

20. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I bought a protective case that doesn't have an Apple logo anywhere on it.

21. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I would check on your house insurance to do what is called "listed" articles rider. I have all of my valuables in the house listed on it. It is only a couple of hundred a year and I have well over $10k on the list. It covers new purchases for 30 days. No deductible. Any loss...theft...damage.

22. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

I actually pulled the trigger on the Square Trade warranty last night after almost sitting on and smashing my iPad the morning before. I paid $829 for it and figured that $50 a year was reasonable. As much as I'll be using it out in the field, something is bound to happen.

Had I bought the $499 version, I would have passed on the warranty. I never buy extended warranties, but after thinking about the way I'm using the device i.e. carrying it around naked all the time, I figured it would be a good idea.

My laptop is always in a case and my iPad is rarely ever in case.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

FWIW many CCs also cover accidental damage and loss/theft for 90 days after purchase. Most, if not all, Visa Signature cards as well as many AMEX branded cards come to mind.

Personally I would not file a minor claim on my insurance. All claims are reported to a insurance database much like payments on your credit record. When you go to buy new insurance or renew existing this database is taken into account when your premium is calculated. Its best to leave homeowners and renters insurance to larger, more catastrophic, losses.

24. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Be careful with that. If you have to make a claim, it "COULD" affect your homeowners policy. Not saying it will, but you really have to read through your policy.

25. me2000 macrumors 6502

I would go with square trade. They actually called me yesterday to thank me for purchasing their warranty and told me I was going to receive a coupon for 50% off my next warranty purchase.

I received a personalized email with the coupon code from the guy who called me. Great service!