Any suggestions for Webcam network streaming software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Can anyone give any suggestions on how to stream some video across my network without it going to the internet? I have a webcam that I'd like to view from another machine with no lag. The two computers are connected via a gigabit internet connection so I don't need any complex encoding or decoding that would give video lag. Using things like ustream is fine for looking at the webcam when outside the gigabit network but when at home, I'd like to check on it with zero lag and zero loss in quality.

So, any ideas?

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

bonjour?

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Thanks, I just stumbled across that too and have it set up and working now. I'm thinking of installing DSS now so as to have two streams, one for internal and one for external use instead of using Ustream.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm surprised that app is not better known/marketed, it is extremely useful and free.

5. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah. I used it before a while ago but completely forgot about it. I've now got it setup with Darwin Streaming Server and have two feeds going on, one for internal and one for external connections. Firewall's all set up but alas, I can't try out the external link until I go to work. RTSP links and SDP files don't seem to be supported in any way on iPhones yet so that'll have to wait. I was hoping there would be a way since I'm using QuickTime's h.264 codec, which I know the iPhone supports.