Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have a few bands, but my favorite is my brown leather band from Apple. I’m right in between holes for getting the best fit. The one I’ve been using is definitely too loose (I mean I like it looser, but it’s too loose to use some of my watch features). The next hole makes it feel almost too tight, and I think it would drive me nuts.

Any ideas or little tricks to adjust the fit?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Wear your watch slightly higher up on your arm, so that it fits tight on the next hole?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Unfortunately, the best bet might be to make use of the tighter of the two holes and hope it stretches a little.

Definitely considered that. I was kinda hoping that wasn't my only option, but if I have to do that, I definitely will
[doublepost=1549384189][/doublepost]
Wear your watch slightly higher up on your arm, so that it fits tight on the next hole?

I do push it up a bit higher, but it tends to fall down more toward my wrist with movement.
[doublepost=1549384233][/doublepost]
Glue a thin pad inside the band.

I was wondering about something like this. Any idea what type thing would work?

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Definitely considered that. I was kinda hoping that wasn't my only option, but if I have to do that, I definitely will
[doublepost=1549384189][/doublepost]

I do push it up a bit higher, but it tends to fall down more toward my wrist with movement.
[doublepost=1549384233][/doublepost]

I was wondering about something like this. Any idea what type thing would work?

The pad idea is possible, though I wonder how well the adhesive would hold up to heat, sweat, wear, etc. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Otherwise if you do have to go the stretch method, some leather conditioner might help keep it supple while wearing it and allow it to stretch a little

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
The pad idea is possible, though I wonder how well the adhesive would hold up to heat, sweat, wear, etc. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Otherwise if you do have to go the stretch method, some leather conditioner might help keep it supple while wearing it and allow it to stretch a little

It's not terribly uncomfortable on the tighter one; I just prefer it to be slightly looser.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I can appreciate that. I went through the same thing myself and found one notch to be too tight and one to be too loose, but not eventually the too tight one broke in nicely to where I now find it comfortable, but it did take a couple of weeks of daily wear to get it that way.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I also would probably err on the side of wearing it tighter to hope it stretches out a bit. Adding padding sounds like it could be a little bit of work but if you're into that sort of thing, why not. I'd try some adhesive moleskin to see if that helps at all before I'd try to go to the extreme of adding any sort of adhesive. I'm not sure that would be so comfortable if it dried hard.

Have you tried a leather loop?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Sport Loop :)

Not a fan. :(
[doublepost=1549433371][/doublepost]
I also would probably err on the side of wearing it tighter to hope it stretches out a bit. Adding padding sounds like it could be a little bit of work but if you're into that sort of thing, why not. I'd try some adhesive moleskin to see if that helps at all before I'd try to go to the extreme of adding any sort of adhesive. I'm not sure that would be so comfortable if it dried hard.

Have you tried a leather loop?

I was thinking of something that would be a little pad, but I’m inclined to just wear it more tightly hoping it’ll stretch.

Have not checked out the leather loop. Is it made like the sport loop?

Reactions: twanj

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Going from a 40mm to the 44mm fixed that issue.

Don’t tempt me! ;-p

I’ve actually considered this, even though I’m small, and I originally thought the bigger watches looked too big for my wrist. My niece got one and I tried it and really like it!

I just really don’t want to have to purchase all new bands.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Don’t tempt me! ;-p

I’ve actually considered this, even though I’m small, and I originally thought the bigger watches looked too big for my wrist. My niece got one and I tried it and really like it!

I just really don’t want to have to purchase all new bands.
I know. It’s tough. But if your going to keep it for a while and wear it all the time comfort needs to be considered.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I know. It’s tough. But if your going to keep it for a while and wear it all the time comfort needs to be considered.

Yeah I mean I’ve had Apple watches since the first one, although I’ve not really used them exclusively until the last year or so.

How is it that going to the larger watch will improve the fit of the bands?

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Yeah I mean I’ve had Apple watches since the first one, although I’ve not really used them exclusively until the last year or so.

How is it that going to the larger watch will improve the fit of the bands?

Because the larger size of the watch means that when you try the tighter hole it shouldn’t be too tight since the extra length of the larger watch brings the strap out a bit more. Also the larger watch has longer straps.

I’m not super familiar with apples leather strap for the smaller watch. But if it has a buckle that can be removed and a floating keeper that can also be removed. I’ve used this type of clasp with great success too. It has three micro adjustments and comes in silver, black, and gold. You’ll need to measure the end of the band at the buckle end to see what size clasp you need.
It will probably be 20mm or 18mm

https://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-p26541h4s1565-Security-clasp-Panko.html

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Not a fan. :(
[doublepost=1549433371][/doublepost]

I was thinking of something that would be a little pad, but I’m inclined to just wear it more tightly hoping it’ll stretch.

Have not checked out the leather loop. Is it made like the sport loop?

The leather loop is similar to it I suppose, in that there is no pin to attach. It uses magnets like the Milanese Loop.

Putting moleskin on the inside might do the trick and would my choice for a pad due to it being soft and likely not causing any issues to the leather band itself.

Another option might be to contact FFF and have them make you a custom sized band, they are absolutely wonderful and super people to deal with.

https://formfunctionform.com/product/button-stud-apple-watch-band/

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Putting moleskin on the inside might do the trick and would my choice for a pad due to it being soft and likely not causing any issues to the leather band itself.

Moleskin was my thought also. But, it will get sweaty and dirty. One could pull it off and replace with clean moleskin. But, that might be messy. Also, moleskin won't deal well with rain.

So...new thought. Buy a length of velcro that has one sticky side. Place that side along the watch band. Then hook/attach the other half of the velcro to that which is stuck on the watch band. When the side that rests on your arm gets old, smelly, whatever.....you can detach that side only, and attach a new piece of velcro. Velcro will dry out quickly from rain...and could use a hair dryer. But, getting the underside of the band wet might not be a problem at all.

And...instead of a strip, velcro comes in little circles and squares. May not need to cover the whole inside of the band.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have been trying to get it stretched by wearing it on the tighter spot little bits at a time. I feel like it might be getting a tiny bit better.

Reactions: staggerlee41

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Try leather stretch spray on the inside of the band, then immediately put it on the tighter setting and work it a bit up your arm to stretch it as desired.

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Have you tried both parts of the strap that come in the box? I haven't checked myself but maybe the holes are in slightly different positions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.