Any suggestions on a Terabyte drive for my new mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by marklight, Feb 24, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

I'm really ignorant on what types of drives will work with the mac pro. Thanks for any help.

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Any SATA Hard Drive will work with your Mac Pro. I have 2 Western Digital 'Green Power' 1TB Drives and 2x750GB Hitachi Drives and they all work perfectly.

If you're looking for speed, I've heard the Hitachi 1TB drives are very fast. If you're looking for low-noise and low-power, the Western Digital 'Green Power' Drives are superb.

Links to get you started:
    Hitachi 1TB SATA Drive
    Western Digital 1TB SATA Drive

3. aibo macrumors 6502

I've got two of the WD 1TB GreenPower drives too and they're impossibly quiet. Definitely recommend.

The gripe is that they're 5400 RPM... but with 1TB, chances are it's a media storage drive where blazing speed isn't important anyway. XBench shows they're slightly faster than the stock 320GB WD.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB drives are very fast and very quiet. I would recommend them. My 750GB drive is excellent.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I've ordered this drive...
    http://shop4.outpost.com/{OpdMyrqHGQA+PYxjHZnrxQ**.node2}/product/5478279

It's a 1TB seagate retail drive. 5 year warranty. Great price at $235, on sale for not much longer.

6. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Wow, that's a great deal!!

7. rds macrumors regular

Probably selling off stock with dodgy firmware ;)

8. deathshrub macrumors 6502

x2, My 750GB and 1TB Samsung drives are quiet and fast as all get out.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy a Seagate, even if it was a "great deal."

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Why not? Seagate's are one of the top brands.

10. GotPro macrumors 6502

I just put a 1TB 7k1000 Hitachi in mine.

Incredibly fast... mine, at least, is whisper quiet... I heard NO audible hard drive noises... even with the case cover off!

About 2-3x faster in everything than the stock 320WD!

Another link to WHY NOT TO BUY THE SEAGATE OR WESTERN DIGITAL DRIVES from Anandtech review.

11. deathshrub macrumors 6502

A lot of the Seagate drives are shipping with firmware problems, and the only way to update the firmware is boot from windows. A lot of people just don't want to deal with the hassle, myself included.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=426903

My Samsung drives are great. A Seagate shipped with my Mac Pro and it is about 10 times louder than my Seagates, and it runs about 15℉ hotter according to iStat Menus.

12. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Samsung SpinPoint F1 One Terabyte screams

We tested the 750GB and 1000GB Samsung SpinPoint F1 drives along with some others.

The 1 Terabyte version is the fastest 7200rpm SATA drive we've ever tested both for large sustained transfers and small random transfers. And it's the quietest of the 1TB drives. Peak transfer speed with cache disabled was 100MB/s READ and 108MB/s WRITE.

The 750GB version was one of the slowest of the 750GB - 1000GB 7K drives tested in terms of large block transfers -- especially when mounted internally to the Mac Pro -- but is equally as fast as the 1TB version doing small random transfers.

We're so impressed, we're ordering a second Samsung 1TB drive.

13. thetoness macrumors member

Barefeats, what 750gb drive do you recommend?

I am purchasing a mac pro and will populating all 4 drives with 750gb hard drives. First, what drive do you recommend for the boot drive? Would you recommend keeping OS and applications on this drive. What drive do you recommend for the other 3 drives. I use photoshop, lightroom and games. Was thinking of keeping photos, music and video on the 2nd drive, 3rd drive for CS3 scratch (not sure if this would be necessary since I am getting 16mb of ram) and the 4th drive for backup. Was also thinking of partioning one of the drives for boot camp. What would be your suggestions? Thanks in advance.

14. TheFuzz macrumors regular

there are tons of complaints on newegg about the samsung and vista. anyone experiencing problems with them on a mac?

15. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Those WD "Green Power" drives are slower than normal drives, though are enterprise class, run extremely quiet, and run very cool (Removing 'heat' from the equation makes me feel very confident in this purchase). I'm thinking of buying an other (RE2-GP) and maybe putting them in an external RAID solution for time machine.

16. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Yes, Seagate drives make me nervous. Every Seagate drive I've had is like a frying pan. They run waaaay too hot.

17. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

For what it's worth....

I have 2 - 1tb Seagate Barracudas and

#1 They are Quieter than the stock 320gb WD drive that shipped with the MacPro.

#2 Although I bought both off ebay, from different sources, they both have absolutely no problems, or firmware issues.

#3 Took my geekbench score from low 10400's - to 10633.
    They have 5 yr warranty, 32 mb Buffer.

They aren't running any hotter than the 320 gb WD was ( according to Istat).