Any Synology users?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rockinrocker, Mar 27, 2014.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I've been looking for a JBOD solution for ~4 drives for a while that wouldn't break the bank, and the Synology DS413j looks like a pretty good solution.

http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/overview/DS413j#content_hash

The price is right, the only thing I'd like to have feature wise is a second ethernet connection, so I'm wondering if it'd be worth the money to go for the DS414 instead….

I wonder if it would work ok to just get an ethernet splitter?

Things like speed and performance don't matter to me (as long as it works of course, ha ha).

2. smellalot macrumors 6502

Why do you need two ethernet ports?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

How do you plan to backup the JBOD array? JBOD if one drive fails the entire array is unrecoverable.

The dual GigE ports can be setup for link aggregation (needs a managed switch) or failover.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Maybe you should look at the DS412+ because it has a dual core processor.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

why go for a dual core processor when the OP is looking for a JBOD setup, the processors will not be used to a great extent.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Because with a Synology DSM the op could do a lot more services with it and gave better response for it. Plus it is a generation newer.

7. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Mainly just because I want to connect two systems to it.
    Though I suppose I can just use one of the USB's, I'm wondering if the length of the cable run will be an issue since I want to keep the drives in a closet.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Correct on both counts; he could use the services but he's not asking for that, he just wants JBOD and if that's his stated need and desire, a dual core model is over-kill and a waste of money.

9. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Yes, this.

----------

I thought JBOD stood for "just a bunch of drives"- why would one drive failing screw up the others? I would have them setup as independent drives.

So with a managed switch I assume I'd have to manually switch it over to go from one to the other?

Thanks

10. monsieurpaul, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

monsieurpaul macrumors regular

First, what do you means by JBOD? All 4 drives aggregated in 1 volume (therefore, if 1 drive fails, you can't access the others 3) or 4 independent drives with a volume for each drive. (Just to be clear, a drive is the physical hard drive and a volume is what your computers will see.)

Why do you want a second ethernet connection (especially if speed and performance doesn't matter) ? To benefit from link aggregation (using both ethernet port) you will need a managed switch that will cost you north of 100 $.

A cheaper solution could be to take 2 DS214SE: both will cost you less than a 413j, they will have their own ethernet connection and you can share the workload between the 2 depending on what you want to do with your NAS.

----------

Keep in mind that a NAS is "network attached", therefore all devices and systems connected to your network will have access to it, even if it is hooked with only one ethernet cable. It must be hooked to your router though, and not to a computer.

Just as an example, I own a DS212j. It is hooked to my router and is accessed by:
    - 2 macbooks and 1 Mac Mini
    - 1 Desktop PC and 1 portable PC
    - 2 WDTV Live streamer
    - 3 Sonos music player
    - 2 iPads et 2 iPhones via DS applications (DS Cloud and DS Video mainly)

11. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I'm mainly wanting to have a hardwired connection cause I'll be using it for fairly large files on occasion. No need for link aggregation.

They'd be 4 independent volumes. Two Time Machine backups and then just some extra storage.

I'd sort of like to have just one unit, but the DS214se sounds like a pretty good alternative…. Hmmmm…..

----------

So your impression of the DS212j has been favorable?

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The 212j is a good NAS, I had one before I upgraded to a DS214play.

----------

Link aggregation will spread the load when more than one computer with a single GigE port is transferring data. It won't speed up non link aggregated computer. You need a smart switch either way. The Cisco SG200-08 is one of the least expensive I've found that works.

Stick with a two drive single GigE Synology. The DS212j is older and I'd personally recommend something more recent like the DS214se.

13. smellalot macrumors 6502

Yeah all you need is a network switch. Or if you have a router with multiple LAN ports connect the NAS to that.

14. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

Best piece of hardware I ever bought in the last 10 years.

Be aware that Apple doesn't support Time Machine on non Apple hardware. I wouldn't recommend using a Synology for Time Machine. I have tried and eventually found my backup corrupted. It was more than 1 year ago so I don't know if the situation has changed.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Have you considered a DAS, it gives you better performance then a NAS (being directly connected) and you'll not be using any of the services and features of the NAS, so you may find an inexpensive DAS that offers everything you need.

16. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I guess I haven't, but just cause I'm not aware of any good options.

Is there a ~4 drive solution that's reasonably priced?

Essentially all I need is a multi-drive external enclosure.

17. maflynn, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

18. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker