Any T-Mobile iPhone users out there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rbroady, Sep 8, 2007.

1. rbroady macrumors regular

So with the release of the flash based touch i thought it would be worth it to just go with an iPhone but theres no way i would switch out of tmobile becouse i get it for free right now.

anyone out there using the iphone with a tmobile sim and happy with it? and problems? i am very skeptical about doing this.

2. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

And where would you go to even do that? So far havent seen any sim unlock available to the general public.

3. rbroady thread starter macrumors regular

I was pretty sure its slowly leaking out. I know its leaked to iphone resellers becouse they have some up on ebay for extremely high prices...i also saw a bid on ebay for the unlock software...not sure about the authenticity but its def there.

4. aerospace macrumors 6502a

on google i ran accross a site selling unlocked iphones but they want $950

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'll be unlocking my iPhone and using T-Mobile in the coming weeks. As of right now it sounds like iPhoneSimFree is going to be the unlock solution. However, the iPhoneDevTeam is apparently going to be releasing a free unlock software as soon as they get the process ironed out, and I'm sure iPhoneSimFree's software will help speed along that process.

I'll be detailing my unlocking on my blog.

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I actually had a dream last night where I purchased an iPhone and had it unlocked...

but with all the reported bugs I'll wait for the second gen. iPhone :)

7. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I want to know how this goes. Im in the same boat, on tmobile but want an iPhone so this will be interesting.

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

It's not that hard. My old college roommate just did it last night. He's on T-Mobile and his iPhone works just fine on their network. The only thing that doesn't work on the T-Mobile network is Visual voicemail; otherwise everything else works the exact same. He's on the $20 blackberry data plan through T-Mobile, so it works the same way as it does on AT&T.

They have a whole video of it on Engadget.

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

How did he obtain the iPhoneSimFree app? It's not suppose to be released until Monday.

10. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I thoguht you needed to get a regular data plan, and that the blackberry one wouldn't work? $20's not bad at all... is that unlimited?

EDIT: could you provide more info on what unlock method he used, and if he's had issues with iTunes 7.4 or 7.4.1?

EDIT2: T-Mobile doesn't allow you to add a Blackberry data plan to your account unless you have a Blackberry device on it. Are you sure he has the blackberry plan and not the $30 T-Mobile Total Internet plan?

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Quite honestly I don't think T-mo even checks what phone you use. I'm in fact using a myfavs plan with a non-myfavs phone. You just change the phone on the website to let you pick a plan and then change it back. I think that's only there to keep the support down low. Of course if you need support of your iPhone with the Blackberry plan the guy will ask "Hey, where's yo blackberry?" But I don't think he will do anything because you're still paying t-mobile.

12. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Interesting...

13. schulzmc macrumors regular

I bounced back and forth on T-Mobile between a Blackberry and a Treo for a couple of years and I can tell you that the Treo would not work with the Blackberry data plan (and the BB would not work unless the BB plan was active). Because of that I would highly doubt that the iPhone would work on T-Mobile's $20 BB data plan.

14. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Sounds like BS to me also.
    Yep, my friend did it the other night too :D

15. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

So does this mean there are no T-Mobile iPhone users on MR???

16. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

You guys can believe what you want. You'll see when the official software is released tomorrow. I've seen his iPhone, touched it, played with it, and it definitely has the T-Mobile in the upper left hand corner, and he definitely has the T-Mobile SIM in there.

Here is the real video if you want to see it (scroll down to the bottom). The iPhone making calls, etc. on the T-Mobile network:

iPhone unlocked for T-Mobile: everything works the same except visual voicemail

This should be out tomorrow. Check it out yourself. It's definitely do-able.

17. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

His? Who is this ubiquitous "he"?

And of course it's possible, i'm just not sure of the validity of iPhoneSimFree's claims... business and software-wise.

18. MacMan93 macrumors member

There IS another way to "unlock" an iPhone.

Something Called a PSS SIM Kit/ HyperCard SIM. You cut your T-Mo(or w/e carrier) SIM card like the instructions then insert it into this special SIM. The SIM has like an AT&T "ID" programmed on it to make the phone think its an AT&T SIM but it uses the SIM you cut smaller and inserted. The only thing you need to do is Jailbreak and activate it with the id of the hypercard sim.

I was going to do that until I discovered I could use my AT&T sim by just Jailbreaking and fake activating it with my SIM's ID #.

19. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Like I said, "he" is my old college roommate. It's not only possible, I've seen it done. You don't have to check their claims, just watch the video and you'll see for yourself.

There are 3 independent companies that have made the unlock software, and many people in "the scene" that already have it. You don't have to believe me, but why would I have reason to lie? Was the whole video on Engadget somehow manipulated?

Come on, unlocking phones is so 2002 anyway, it was only a matter of time before it happened to the iPhone. 2 months is actually quite some time, given it's popularity. I'm just surprised it wasn't done sooner.

20. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

This is entirely true as well. Jailbreaking is another way to unlock it. I just don't understand how all these people find it that hard to believe :confused:

21. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'm sorry, i think i misunderstood you. I know it's possible to unlock the phone. I just don't fully believe that iPhoneSimFree is going to be providing the software to all of us.

22. kellygeorge macrumors member

i agree. it seems like it has taken forever. and even now companies say they can do it but no one has offered it easily to the public (without soldering!). i only worry about future updates to the phone or itunes ruining it, and having to do it again and again.

23. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Oh, they'll provide it, until the lawyers reach their door. But I think it's going to be like $80 a pop or something like that. That's what the pre-release rate was through Paypal over the weekend I think.

24. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Yeah, I'm thinking the guys over at Apple will attempt to break it with each firmware upgrade or itunes dot update. Eh... just as long as someone can reverse their attempts, I'll be happy.

25. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

How much did your boy pay for the unlock software and from where did he get it?
    Cause so far they're saying that there's only a few phones unlocked by that company.
    Noone is believeing you cause theres still no place that sells it yet or provides it and its not as simple as you making it sound.