Any Thing Other than Unison for Usenet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by northy124, Jun 30, 2009.

1. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Hey guys,

I currently use Unison to download from Usenet (using ISP service :D ) but it is 60KB/s which is slow and I am hoping it is the software which is limiting it and I was wondering if there is anything better :)

Please help :)

Northy

2. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I use Hogwasher, which I'll be honest is terrible, but I'm used to the interface, and prefer it over unison. It's just that it runs like a dog and can only run on one core.

I've tried Thoth and Unison and found neither of them to be any faster or slower. To be honest I think it must be your ISP.

3. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

hellaNZB is what I use. but it does have some dependencies, like the Apple Developer Tools (1GB download from apple, or included on the disk) and then MacPorts.

But if you're not too happy with using the terminal maybe there is something else out there.

4. oilfighter macrumors regular

I've tried a lot of newsgroup readers, and the best solution that I have is still newsbin pro running on parallels.

I have yet to come across a newsgroup reader for mac that will auto-monitor a folder for NZB files. I get great speed with Newsbin Pro too.

Also, if anyone knows of something that's similar to AutoUnpack (windows only), which automatically unpacks .rar files, repairs them if needed, and deletes them. It also monitors a specific folder, so all you have to do is click "start" and it pretty much does everything automatically. UnrarX does the job, but everything is manual. You have to drag the .rar files to the program, and you have to delete the parts manually later.

I pretty much just need Parallels for these 2 programs, it'd be nice to have everything running on mac natively. I could save some resources.

5. robmorgan macrumors newbie