Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I'm trying to decide which data plan to go for and I have no way of knowing how much my iPhone currently uses via Wifi.

Any suggestions?

No official app through the App store would be able to do that due to the limitations of the SDK, it is possible an application for jailbroken phones (meaning this should be discussed in the other forum) could but I would say that would only be able to log future data usage though.

Neebee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Ok then, the answer is no then.

So how much data could one realistically use listening to streaming audio for about 3 hours a day then and checking email, browsing for a few hours as well?

BTW, I am sure many people don't even know what SDK (software development kit) is ;)

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Ok then, the answer is no then.

So how much data could one realistically use listening to streaming audio for about 3 hours a day then and checking email, browsing for a few hours as well?

BTW, I am sure many people don't even know what SDK (software development kit) is ;)

note: the following calculation is what I think can be used and in no way the exact numbers.

Pandora is encoded at 64 kbps, now you multiply by 10800 (3 hours) which gets you about 691200 kilobits. divide that by 8 to get 86400 kilobytes. Divide by 1024, that gets you about 84.375 MB for three hours.

Multiply that by 31 days (to cover everything), that gets you 2.55 GB per month assuming you listen three hours a day and assuming each month has 31 days.

Email depends on how much you get and how big each of the email are.

Browsing depends on the site. Going to the full Macrumors page is different than Google.

Lastly, yes, people don't know what SDK is...but they should at least by now understand the limitations that applications face, at least. Why else can we make Ocarina and Super Monkey Ball, but we can't have applications run in the background or browse our iPhone's directories? Must be a limitation...:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.