Any thoughts on best carrier/plan if contract is up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dagdagdag234, Sep 13, 2014.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

I'm on ATT -- contract is up in a couple weeks. I'll be buying the iPhone 6 64gb.

Can probably just buy it outright as opposed to subsidizing if ultimately it will save me a lot of money long run.

I prefer decent data speeds but am pretty good about not using too much data, about 2 gb a month.

ATT has been fine, have a 2gb mobile share plan w my wife (who is still under contract for another 10 months).

I like having wireless tethering. I live in LA county in the suburbs so the major carriers tend to have decent LTE coverage.

Any thought on a good plan/carrier for me?

I've researched this but my head is spinning. So many variables.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. benboy12 macrumors regular

If you like AT&T, why switch? I have Verizon and have been pleased. They have the best coverage in my area, followed by AT&T. No one seems to be happy with Spring or T-Mobile in my area.

3. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure if I'll switch but I thought one of the non-contract plans -- either T-Mobile or virgin, Boost or something might be an interesting option- I just don't know what people's experiences are like there

4. Vdubguy18 macrumors member

Due to new contract rules with Verizon I am forced to lose out on my unlimited data. With that in mind I will be pulling the plug and going to Tmobile and go contract free. Will also be saving over $120 a month and get to keep my unlimited data.

Tmobile has good service in my area (Tampa). So for me it was really a no brainer. New unlocked iPhones from Verizon to transfer over to Tmobile.

(Not to mention that the past 6 months or so I feel as if I have been getting throttled down on my unlimited plan)

5. benboy12 macrumors regular

I wish T-Mobile was a good option here. People with T-Mobile here don't get service at my school or my office, not to mention various other places. However, I don't live in as big of an area as Tampa.

6. Vdubguy18 macrumors member

Inside I have seen some issues at my apartment. However, WiFi Calling eliminates that as well as Tmobile has been buying up Verizon older towers. Tmobile will grow to be something amazing I'm sure. If you look back at just a few years ago they were garbage and now they are in the top 4 I would say of services.