Any thoughts on SquareTrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manjaap, Jun 9, 2010.

1. manjaap macrumors member

I am thinking of getting a SquareTrade warranty with my iPhone 4. This is the first time I'm not doing Apple Care and thinking of a third party. How does SquareTrade work exactly and any thoughts (good or bad) about them?

2. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Haven't purchased before, but will be purchasing when I get the iPhone 4. Covers accidentally damage, and is less than all other insurances. Worth it.

3. Screwtape macrumors regular

From my understanding, they won't just replace the phone like Apple does. Instead they just pay you for the device. The problem is, you buy the iPhone on a subsidized price, and if you buy a replacement, you get the unsubsidized price, but Squaretrade only pays you back for the subsidized price... which is a problem.

4. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Well if they can't fix it they give you money for a new one. You have to do something crazy to it for it not to be fixable.. Well maybe drop it in water or something.

5. alanlau007 macrumors member

For 3Gs 16GB out of warranty replacement, Apple charges $200. Maybe SquareTrade will pay for that??? Not sure. Just a thought.

6. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

But I think once they aren't able to fix it they write you a check and keep the phone.

7. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Not exactly. the warranty states, if the phone can't be repaired...

SquareTrade will give you a cash reimbursement - up to a maximum of $599 - for what it will cost you to get an iPhone with a new 2 year contract. The warranty will be considered fulfilled upon cash-out.​

So basically, they give you cash to replace the phone on a new 2 year contract, which in most cases will be $499.

8. Screwtape macrumors regular

Ok, that makes much more sense.

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Are you sure? Maybe I read it wrong.

I've used SquareTrade before and they've treated me well.

Either way I'd also like to point out that most insurance companies will cover your cell phone also. Mine says it's $25 a year and a $50 deductible for a $700 insurance policy on a personal cell phone. Just a thought.

10. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I'm considering it...I have it on my iPad which to me, seems more likely to break if dropped because of the weight. For $99, it is probably a smart thing to buy.

11. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

That's a little bit of confusing wording. As I read it, technically, an iPhone with a new 2-year contract is $199-299. They're not really saying that they'll give you the cost for you to get a replacement iPhone while you're already in a contract. Perhaps they're saying, "well, you can always get an extra line and start a new 2-year." Someone should really get a hold of SquareTrade to clarify. I'd sign up if it was clear.

12. keystoneuser macrumors member

Completely false, Squaretrade is actually a friggin awesome company. I bought it for my 3G, and last year when I decided to go swimming with it, I called them and they told me to go to a Apple Store and pay the $200 to have it replaced out of warranty. I sent them the reciept, and they paypalled me the $200. The warranty had coverage for 400, and I asked them about this and they informed me that the $200 was deducted off of that, and that I still had another $200. So basically that is 2 phone swaps with apple. Pretty cool deal IMO and it cost me $80 to buy.

13. casedogg311 macrumors member

Best buy has a $14.99/month total protection plan. Beat part is they just swap you out with a new iPhone in the store. Also no deductable.

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Squaretrade doesn't replace your iPhone if you lose it though correct or am I wrong?

15. keystoneuser macrumors member

Yeah you would be correct..Wish they did though.

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually you do not get a new iPhone in store. They perform what is called an advanced replacement. They send your faulty iPhone off to a service center to be refurbished and you end up getting someone else's refurbished iPhone. The reason it is called advanced replacement is because once they input the information in the computer and create a service order a refurbished iPhone is immediately sent to the Best By store for you to pick up, you do not have to wait for your faulty iPhone to get to the service center first before they ship you the refurbished iPhone.

17. dave420 macrumors 65816

I'm a repeat customer with Squaretrade because I think it is a good deal. Their customer service is good. For a lot of fixes they won't give you the cash for the replacement phone, they will actually fix the phone itself. (Such as for a broken screen)

18. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Just keep in mind that you can buy AppleCare for half price or less on Ebay or Amazon, and it's totally legit. Simply enter the code to register it and you're done.

That certainly seals the deal for me. One more year of coverage for around $35 is easy.

19. tylertech macrumors regular

But AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage, so I find it pointless honestly.

20. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I'm on the fence about this. On one hand I can see buy a SquareTrade warranty for the nuts to bolts coverage.

On the other hand, I also plan on putting my phone in a otterbox case. So essentially I'm adding 'insurance' to my phone for accidental damage up front. Assuming the case does its job, the only other issue I'd have is anything that would be covered under applecare (assuming I don't dump my phone in the water).

21. tylertech macrumors regular

You already get one year of AppleCare free (hardware repair coverage). And you can always buy the protection plan to extend it anytime within that year. So if you aren't worried about insurance, then I don't think AppleCare is really necessary at this very moment.