Any thoughts on what settings to use for Handbrake?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MTShipp, Mar 9, 2012.

1. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

With the retina display for the 3rd Gen iPad, has anyone thought about what settings to use in Handbrake for the new iPad? Or, like me, do you think we will have to wait and experiment?

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

the makers of handbrake have orders in for both the ATV and new ipad. once they get them in their hands they will make presets for both.

3. MTShipp thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. maclook macrumors 65816

I convert all of my movies using the ATV2 setting. I assume it'll play great on the new iPad.
    I have lots of 720p rips that I'm waiting to test out. Just hoping I don't need to step my game up to 1080p for maximum awesomeness.

5. MTShipp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do that with Wondershare. But lately WS has locked up so I went back to Handbrake. It seems to rip the ones WS can't.

6. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

You do. It may be a pain to store and re-convert, but there are twice as many pixels in a 1080 source than 720 and that will be a considerable difference. The increased density of the display will make 720 look great, but 1080 should just be outstanding.

7. maclook macrumors 65816

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...ooks-good-through-better-h264-compression.ars
    [​IMG]

The jump from DVD to HD was dramatic and there's no way to go back. I don't feel like this is the same, despite twice the pixels. I'm totally satisfied watching 720p on my 60".
    With that said, I probably won't download my old 720p movies again but new movies will probably have to come in 1080p. That image shows how the bottle's text is so much clearer in 1080. I can't wait to test it out on the iPad.

8. LateAppleFan macrumors member

I am curious to see what the preferred picture output width setting in Handbrake will be for the Retina display. The current 1024 width for the iPad preset is the native width pixel count of iPad 1 and 2.

A 1920 width setting will require the new iPad to upscale to 2048 during playback, whereas a 2048 width setting will leave the upconverting job to Handbrake during encoding. Hopefully the Handbrake folk will suggest the optimum preset in regards to the file size, encoding time and the iPad battery usage. Guess we won't know till they can experiment with the A5X chip.

9. maclook macrumors 65816

Um, I don't get it. You guys want to export your videos to the Retina Display's size? Why not just play your normal 720 or 1080 videos? I see no sense in making your video enormous.....

10. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Ill probably optimize one movie trailer or something just to have an example of the display, otherwise I'll stick with 720p for short videos and SD for anything long. Netflix for the rest.

11. LateAppleFan macrumors member

Well, a lot of us have video files that have to be converted to a format(mp4, m4v) that iPad can play.

12. maclook macrumors 65816

All my 720 and 1080 movies are converted using Handbrake's ATV2 setting which converts it to an m4v at their current picture size. It's then playable on your ATV or iPad. It doesn't need to be stretched to 2048 width.