Any Thunderbolt 2 External Drives On The Horizon ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mythos, Dec 15, 2013.

1. mythos macrumors member

Does anybody know (as opposed to think) if there are any external Thunderbolt 2 drives coming soon from the usual suspects ?

I've been searching but can't find anything.

I'll be investing in reconfiguring my setup when I get the New Mac Pro and wish to go with Thunderbolt 2 so as the system will grow with my needs.

I'm aware of the Promise unit and may well invest in one, but it would be god to have some other options, and soon.

Obviously there's going to be a large market for external drives with the New mac Pro, but where are they ?

(Personally I favor external drives that are easily accessible (2Big etc) rather than the closed type (G-Tech etc) as I have a bunch of bare drives that float around.)

2. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Pegasus2 is already shipping for a week now.

3. FireWire2 macrumors 6502

FireWire2

Do you know a place selling this?

4. mythos thread starter macrumors member

They're cropping up at the usual places.

I'll probably buy a diskless one (which seems to be only available via Apple ?).

But also holding off to see if other Thunderbolt 2 Externals get announced around the new Pro.

5. ender78 macrumors 6502

Caldigit released their three bay enclosures [T3] yesterday.

EDIT, these are TB 1 only.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I can maybe see using TB2 for an SSD based external drive or 4k monitor. But spinning disks, even 10,000 rpm ones, are likely not bottle necked by TB1. You may want TB1 devices on a separate port(s) than TB2 devices.