Any Time Capsule Reviews?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chic0, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

Hi

now that Time Capsule is out, does anyone know where can find any reviews?

I have searched using Google, but cannot find any.

I already have the AEBS+ext HD option, but frustrated at some of the issues with it. Cant even copy over large multiple files without it 'falling over' :-s

There are some other annoyances, Ubut I wont go into detail. If this Time Capsule seems a lot more reliable, then I might purchase.

Any reviews then or comments from people who already have a Time Capsule? :)

Thanks

2. markwise macrumors member

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Here are several I found in just a few seconds by 'googling' "time capsule review":
    http://gizmodo.com/362391/time-capsule-initial-verdict-smooth-sailing-no-surprises
    http://reviews.cnet.com/network-storage/apple-time-capsule-1tb/4505-3382_7-32818587.html
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/01/16/first_look_time_capsule_airport_and_time_machine.html
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/time-capsule-everything-you-wanted-to-know/

Now, I would personally be more interested in hearing some more personal responses from people on here. For anyone that owns one personally, could you please answer these questions for me?

1) Describe the (if any) slow down your network/internet speeds when the time capsule is backing up your mac over time machine.

2) Describe if possible any speed differences in backing up over WiFi as compared to Firewire or USB.

This info would be very helpful to me!

4. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

quick MacWorld review here

Apple Insider answers lots of interesting questions and has a First-Look review here.

Hope this was helpful.

/Rupert

5. KershMan macrumors 6502

Ok, so I got my 500GB TC last week and spent a bunch of time getting the network to work right. Bottom line is each time a wireless client connected to it, that client couldn't connect to the Internet and had DNS problems.

I found a solution on Apple's support forums that apparently you shouldn't use an apostrophe in the name and the name should be short (6-8 characters I think someone said, like a standard host name). Well, this is not typically how Apple's software works so my initial name was Kershman's Time Capsule. I changed it to kershtc and it worked fine after tha.

Initial backups are SLOW over wireless. Do yourself a favor and plug it in via Ethernet for the first one.

I have two Macbooks, a PowerBook G4, and a G4 mini backing up to the TC now with ZERO problems. So far at least. The network seems to be performing very well as well.

And, I am not claiming in correlation here, but since getting this on my network my Comcast connection has gone from 4-6Mbps to anywhere from 15-30Mbps on two different sites (speakeasy.net and speedtest.com). Good stuff! I was actually able to start an HD movie in AppleTV this weekend and start watching it almost immediately.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

1) not noticeable

2) Backup via TC is 10MBps max... 6MBps average, could be much less on a b/g network. An external FW or USB directly connected to the Mac should be much faster, most noticeable for large backups. Routine incremental backups may not be big enough to be an issue, just that first one.

7. scamperdude macrumors newbie

I just received my TC 500GB last week. The setup was very easy. First time running my MBA on 'n' WiFi and there is a noticeable speed difference. The first backup is best done with an ethernet connection, but after that I haven't noticed it at all. BTW, pardon the dumb question, how can you measure your connection speeds?