Any Time Machine settings?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by themachatter, Dec 19, 2007.

1. themachatter macrumors newbie

I'm interested in turning time machine off whenever my display goes to sleep. It's kind of annoying when I'm trying to sleep and i'll hear my external hard drive starting up and writing data from my computer. Is there settings somewhere that I can change this? Also can you change the amount of time between each backup? Thanks.

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

The only thing I know of is this:
    http://www.klieme.com/TimeMachineScheduler.html

I don't use it as my machine is in an office....and I can't recommend it as I've never used it.....I'd say use at your own risk.

I don't know of any advanced preferences for Time Machine...like don't backup if display is in sleep....would be nice if Apple allowed for some more 'advanced' settings for those of us that would like to use them.

-Kevin

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Automatic Stop and Resume:

Never skip a beat. If your Time Machine backup is interrupted — because you took your portable on the road or put your Mac to sleep — Time Machine will simply stop backing up. When you reconnect to your backup drive again, Time Machine automatically picks up where it left off.

Is from here ..

4. themachatter thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm talking about putting just the display to sleep, not the whole computer...I have programs that I like to keep running most of the time.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just turn time machine off in system preferences when you go to sleep or eject the time machine drive in the finder and pull the cord out.
    time machine will then backup everything that has changed the next day when you turn it on in system preferences or put the cord back in.
    the best way would be to just sleep your mac so when your not running apps throughout the night just do that.
    you can change the time machine backup time interval by doing this

6. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Just dismount your TM drive before you go to bed, and re-mount it in the morning. It can't back up when it's disconnected.