Any tips for Folder Management for a newbie?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DougFNJ, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Sorry for posting this twice if anyone read it in the other area, I accidentally posted it in the Mac Pro section meaning to post it here ....

I'm coming from Windows where everything could be easily managed with a right click. I am finding that with some things it's not as easy on a Mac. I am looking to be able to do 3 things.....

How to change folder icons? I have a photos folder on my Desktop, instead of having it look like a folder, I like it to look like a camera, and my Ebook folder to look like a Book, etc.

How to Hide Folders?

How to Password Protect folders?

Both of those preferably where content in them does not show up in searches.

Thank you in advance for any help.....

2. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Welcome to Mac :)

I don't mean to suggest you shouldn't ask here or look around the web, because they are both great resources, and I find lots of things in both of them.

But for myself I've also found a book to be really handy for looking up tips and just discovering new things. I like the Missing Manual series (such as Missing Manual Snow Leopard, by David Pogue). I have found so many little (and big) tips, and there is a good index to look things up too. Lots of screen shots. Even a section for "If you are used to Windows, the equivalent/other way in Mac is...."

Just another possibility.

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how to hide folders.

You can change folder icons by right clicking, clicking "get info" and then just copy and pasting an icon over the folder's current icon. You can also buy an application like "Candybar" and use a nice GUI to manage your folders.

To password protect a folder, you have to create an encrypted DMG in disk utility. Google it, and you should find some nice tutorials.

Hiding folders is fairly easy. Just go into Spotlight preferences, and go into Privacy, and change your settings there.

4. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Thanks guys, definitely will look into some books, particularly that missing manual one.

Also got the folder password protected as well as hidden from spotlight. Thanks for the help.