Any tips for new user

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by asifnaz, Dec 3, 2010.

1. asifnaz macrumors member

I am a Linux guy . My girlfriend is a Mac fan and she gifted me a macbook pro a week ago .

For my suprise it does not have right click . Its a bit strange . Why it is so expensive than same powerful PCs .

Any tips for a new user like me..?
    thnx

2. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

Absolutly loads of info on the site already matey - just use the search function and there will be a hundred other threads asking similar questions.

You can add the right click in settings or just use a two finger tap on the touchpad to bring up the equivalent of Linux' right click menu.

Macs are expensive compared to PC's if you look just a t hardware, but then you have build quality, customer service, the Genius Bar, The highquality included software, a top notch OS thats constantly updated, sleek looks etc to factor into the price too.

You will come round to the Mac way of thinking very quickly - especially if you are from a Linux background, so welcome to the family as it where!

p.s. where did you find a girlfriend willing to;

A: give you a computer to spend time on
    B: one who buys you a Macbook Pro?

3. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

Well we both are computer geeks and spend our many of free time experimenting with computers . She has Mac from year 1984

And I find antique computers from junkyard bring it home and make it work with some ancient Linux distro .

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

The magic mouse and the new trackpads allow for right click. Go to system preferences (in the Doc) and enable them there.

As a relatively new switcher (18 months now) there are plenty of "odd" things about OSX. Overall, the +'s WAY outway the -'s compared to Squishy.

congrats on the new MP.
    JohnG

5. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Since you are coming from Linux make sure you take advantage of the terminal on mac. It should make you feel a little more at home.

6. cutterman macrumors regular

When I started using macs the first thing I did was ditch the Apple mouse and get a Logitech. If you do that dont install the bloated Logitech software- check out Steermouse. It is worth the few $'s.

As noted above you will likely find the command line binaries very familiar and useful.

7. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

It so cool to have terminal in Mac OS . I am feeling right at home . I am very familiar with Unix like environment . I used to argue with my girlfriend over her choice of being a Mac user .
    But now I feel its very good experience the OS is sleek well polished stable and very user friendly .

I hope in couple of weeks I will be advising other new users..:)

8. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

Also, you might find more interesting information in the Macbook Pro area of the forum. This one is for the Mac Pro.