Any tips from those who have sold thier old iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by azdunerat, Sep 10, 2010.

1. azdunerat macrumors regular

So Im going to be putting my phone up on craigs list, it is an 8gig 3g and I am hoping to get 150-200. Who has done this and what do I need to do with my phone first. Retore it to factory and remove the simm card? Anything else?

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

3. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

1. Unlock/Jailbreak the phone. It makes the value go much higher.

2. Check all the going prices for other 3Gs of your same model and price it in that area.

3. List the phone at the price you REALLY want to sell it for. Don't list it lower just to sell it.

4. Be patient. You will get a lot of low offers, but if you hold out you will get the money you want.

4. nsbe1 macrumors member

$100-175 is more likely.
    Unless it's mint condition, I wouldn't be expecting much.

I sold my 16gb 3g including a lot of accessories for $250 on ebay and got offers for $250 on craigslist, but sold on ebay cause i didn't wanna get mugged.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Sold my 16GB 3G a couple months ago for $200. It was mint condition but not jailbroken. Think you could get around $125-$150 for yours though you'll probably get a lot of $100 bids.

6. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

I would suggest asking for $200 initially. Like another poster said jailbreak it and unlock it, it drives the price another $30 - $40. I sold my 16GB 3G unlocked for $270 about a month ago. So the $150 - $200 range is achievable. Just be patient and the offers will come. If somebody calls offering $150 tell them you have someone waiting for the item, take his/her name and number with the understanding that you will call them if your "other deal" doesn't happen. That way you have a backup.

7. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Have 16GB 3G prices fallen that much in the states? Wow that's incredible. If that's the case start with $170.

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

It's a 2008 model cell phone that most people bought for $199. The fact that you can get back half the money you spent on it 2 years ago is a testament to how much the price has held up over the years.

9. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

I can understand that, but where I live (Puerto Rico) you can't find them lower that $220. I sold mine about a month ago for $270.

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Sell it to someone who lives overseas. I sold my 3GS about a month ago for $350. This person lives in costa rica.

Marc

11. Vick84 macrumors regular

Vick84

overseas is where you make your money. I always list on ebay and make fair amount of profit when selling overseas. here are some tips when you list...make sure you select "uk visibility" on ur auction page...i think its extra 10 cents. Add extra goodies (screen protector, case, charger, etc). Charge international shipping between $30-$50 depending on their location and be sure to state that it will be insured and sent it registered. And be sure to insure it because if it gets lost you not gonna get it back and most of the time what happens is their local post office will steal it but if it is registered they cant. If you want to feel extra safe then use usps or dhl but it will be expensive. I use usps and never had problems except one time when i shipped it to maldives and postman stole it. But had insurance so got the $ back but took 3 months..hope this helps

12. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

I listed my daughter's jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3G this morning for $200 and it sold within an hour. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. I did on the other hand offer to throw in an InCase Slider just to sweeten the deal (what use would the case be after I sold the phone anyway?)