Any tips on getting Lighting charging cable replaced?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hakr100, Jan 10, 2013.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

The "genuine" Apple branded charging cable that came with my iPhone 5 just died. The phone is about three months old. Bought it through Verizon. I have AppleCare. What are the odds of my being successful in getting Verizon or Apple to replace this cable at no cost to me?

$19 cable, apparently, and it's a thin, short cable, probably costs $1.50 to manufacture somewhere in the bowels of China.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If it's stopped working, they'll replace it. If you broke it, they wont.

3. Gaidin43 macrumors regular

Very successful. Just tell then what happened and they will mail you a new one. Or even better bring it into an apple store and they will replace it on the spot.

4. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Verizon will do this...it is five miles away. The nearest Apple store is 36 miles away.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Call the local VZW store and ask.
    Apple will definitely replace it.

6. fiddlestyx macrumors 6502

This

7. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had to spend five minutes talking the Verizon store manager into replacing it. There was some sort of black goo or corrosion on the tiny brass colored tips on the end that plugs into the phone. Hard to remove some of them them with light scraping and alcohol didn't work, either. Have no idea what they were, but they definitely were the problem.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo