Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I recently purchases a ScanSnap scanner, and have been trying to get it to work for a week now. I've been on the phone with Level 1 Fujitsu tech support, and we've determined that whatever is preventing ScanSnap from working is in my user account (it works flawlessly in my wife's user account on the same machine).

Getting ScanSnap working is so important to me that I'm considering creating a fresh user account for myself. This is a daunting task because I have so many preferences, special configurations, symlinks, etc. that I've created over the years.

I don't think I can just migrate my data from the old user account to the new one, because then I might re-create whatever is causing the problem with the ScanSnap - right? Is there any way to make this process easier, or do I just have to stick it out and do it the hard way?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I've just had to do this, and it's by trial and error. I made a copy of my Preferences folder(295 items) onto an external drive. Set up the new account, and then copied across the old Preference files 6 at a time, logging out and logging in after each transfer to see when the problem re-occured. It finally occured after item number 290, so it took me a couple of hours.

Have fun. :D

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. In my case, I'm not even sure the problem is in the Preferences folder, so I have even more fun ahead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.