Any tips on reconditioning a Samsung 128 GB SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Salty Pirate, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

I have my samsung 128 GB SSD in my MBP and I erased a ton of files trying to get things where I can live with about 60 GB used.

I think the write speed has degraded, so I wanted to try to erase the drive, reformat or whatever I gotta do to make it somewhat faster again.

How would I do this on a mac? From what I have read, just a simple re-format and then copy my carbon copy image over will not cut it. Is there a tool out there to get the deleted space back to a new state or is this samsung drive just slow and I am wasting my time? I do not mind trying it once for grins.

Any thoughts or anything anyone else has done successfully?

thx

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Looks like you want to wipe it. Here's how: Use disk utility and choose the "7-pass erase" option. That should do it;).

3. Salty Pirate thread starter macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

that may take days:eek:

4. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Your SSD is fast; it should take a couple hours at the most if you're doing it internally. It'll take much longer externally, but that's the only way to wipe out the info-zero it out.:)

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Have you verified it's slower? You can go over to the X-Bench site and compare numbers to what yours is doing to verify it has in-fact slowed.

There may not be an issue at all.

6. Salty Pirate thread starter macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

i bought it used, so I am neurotic about it. I only x-benched after I noticed it slowing down. Reads seem very fast, writes, not so much. Sorta want to do a science experiment.

One of these days, I will save up and buy the Intel X-25 G2 160GB.

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Well, it's still blazing fast for a hard drive.:)

8. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

That is a really good idea if you wanna accomplish nothing and shorten the life span of the SSD, great advice! Actually, using the 7-pass erase would most likely make it even slower.

9. Salty Pirate thread starter macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

shorten the life is relative. have read on anand and other places that write speed increases after some form of format and returning the written cells back to a ready to write state.

10. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Yeah, but the formats in disk utility is NOT that kind of format. The "Zero out" formats in disk utility writes 0s in every block on the drive. So even the places where you currently have not written anything will get 0s written there. So doing what that guy suggested will A) Most likely make it even slower, B) shorten the lifespan of the drive due to unnecessary writes.

11. Salty Pirate thread starter macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

so how would I perform a 'trim' function? just format it?

12. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Nah, format won't do it. Dunno which manual "wipers" there are for OS X.