Any tips on recovering a missing partition?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by justo9, Oct 15, 2007.

1. justo9 macrumors newbie

I just spent the last 5 hours picking files off a partition on my external harddrive so that I could format it. I moved them from the one partition to another (on the same drive,) and both of them were ms-dos formatted. I launched disk utilities and chose to erase the one partition and format it as Mac OS Journaled. A never-ending progress bar popped up at the bottom and read something along the lines of newfs_hfs:<some location I assume>No such file or directory. It never changed or left, and their was no activity on my harddrive so I eventually quit the program (I waited about an hour.)
    Now both partitions are gone :mad:, and I would really like to get the one back. I realize that you shouldn't quit a program while it is working on your disk, but it wasn't responding or doing anything. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. Parsec macrumors member

If you really want to get the data back, don't perform anymore actions unless it is aimed at recovery, so no more partitioning or writing to that disk. There is software available that can recover the data in deleted partitions. I believe that it is even possible to recover lost partitions. Google for software that can do this (data recovery/data rescue).

Good luck, Parsec.

3. tommac2008 macrumors newbie

yeah right! you should not perform any action to the drive from which the data need to be recovered. I had success in recovery of data from my friend's mac drive. You can search for mac data recovery softwares on google. I used Stellar Mac data recovery software. It even helps to recover the data from Mac OS X & Max Classic OS hard drives based on HFS, HFS+, HFSX and HFS Wrapper file systems. You can try the trial version of this software. Just search for Stellar Mac data recovery on google.