Any tips on selling my 3gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tom2847, Jun 15, 2010.

1. tom2847 macrumors regular

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

there is an influx of old iphones on ebay that are priced lower and ending sooner than yours and are probably unlocked or unlockable as well. Give it time, if no bites lower the price. supply > demand right now.

3. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, wait a couple of months and then sell. That's what I'm doing. WAY too many on the used market right now and for the next few weeks.

4. creeman macrumors 6502

Wait until the unlock comes out, then jailbreak and unlock, your resell value will increase!

5. toliy253 macrumors member

Try posting your phone on Craigslist. If you ask for around $300 you will most definitely get some calls. I posted my 32gb on CL and within an hour I sold it for $370, the guy that bought it drove from another city to buy it. Ebay is always a viable option but you should have listed it with a smaller starting price. Looks like your starting price is $280, kinda high. When I sell iPhone on ebay i always start out with $10. This gets me more exposure and ultimately more people bidding. Once you have a serious buyer he will most likely hang in there and follow the auction until it end. My advice for you is to list the phone on CL for a reasonable price. If you get a reliable buyer sell it and end the ebay auction. Good luck, hope I helped a little.

6. mntentman macrumors regular

There are so many iPhones on eBay no one is bidding on any (or at least not at a decent level) until hours left in the auction. I sold my 3GS 16 GB for $295 on Sunday, but buyer backed out. So I put it up for $285 Buy It Now and it sold right away, with immediate payment required. Could maybe have gotten more via auction but too many deadbeat buyers out there, which is why I asked for IPR.

7. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

^^

Agreed. I always start my auctions at $1 and do no reserve. People new to eBay think that is way too risky, but it actually nets a higher end price.

The fact that you only have one feedback, and you are selling an item that is laden with fraud, and an abundance of surplus, doesn't help. Also, the fact that it ends in two days is adding to why nobody has bid. In my experience I may get a single or couple bids in the first day, and none after until about 12 hours to go in the auction. Usually why I do one day auctions on highly visible items like iPhones' now :)

8. California King macrumors 65816

Maybe try your luck with Craigs List? You'll probably get more money since they don't charge you like eBay does.

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

The other thing is, although you have a 100% positive feedback rating, you only have one eBay transaction. A lot of people will skip over to a seller with more transactions, if possible. :(

10. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

11. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Jailbreak and unlock. I sold my 3GS for $410 within 20 minutes of putting it on eBay with a Buy It Now. :)

12. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

13. California King macrumors 65816

What's the going price for 3GS's anyways? ~$300 locked and ~$375 unlocked? Just curious since I plan on selling mine soon.

14. g8orballboy macrumors regular

I sold my locked 32gig 3GS for $350 on craislist last night. Took a week and only got one bite, but was able to play him up from 300 to 350. I really wanted 400, but that's not going to happen in this market right now

15. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

you should wait for ios4 and then jailbreak and unlock it you should be able to sell it for greater money then

16. Tech-Minded macrumors regular

I'm split over the thought of selling or keeping my 8gb original iPhone (small crack in corner).

17. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

You aren't going to have success IMHO on ebay with your (1) feedback selling the worlds most scammed eBay item.

You need to go craigslist and cash in person. Also fyi as a newbie bay seller ... The bay / pay pal fees on items 250 and up can get steep!

18. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

sooooo is it hard to jailbreak? any danger of bricking the phone?