Any tips? Sudden Issues w/Older MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KmacUser, Apr 25, 2016.

1. KmacUser macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.8. (Old, I know, but it works for me.)

All was working well, then I shut down for a while. When I shut down, Firefox and Acrobat seemed to hang, but everything else was fine. Then, I restarted two hour later. It took about 8 minutes to startup. Each phase of the start-up process was extremely slow, each screen that normally appears for a few seconds, showed for minutes. When it got to my normal desktop, it took another 3 minutes to be able to open or move any icons/windows.

I restarted several times, zapped PRAM, and was able to work, but clearly something is wrong. Bluetooth is also just gone from my system preferences. My mouse gets jumpy at times and my keyboard seems slow.

We tried inserting and running the recovery disc, but it hangs. This suggests a hardware malfunction?

I'm all backed up, but I'd like to bring this computer back into working order.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    -K

2. chabig macrumors 68040

The number one best thing you can do for your MacBook is replace the hard drive with an SSD. Then I'd recommend moving to El Capitan, so you can run modern software and be as secure as possible doing so. Finally, I'd ditch Acrobat and Firefox completely. Preview handles PDFs, and Safari is a great browser. Remember, SSD first.

3. KmacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

This doesn't answer my question. Might this be a hardware issue?
    -->>We tried inserting and running the recovery disc, but it hangs. This suggests a hardware malfunction?

If it's a hardware issue, any upgrade is pointless.

I would like to restore my computer to what it was before the slowness. Then, I'll make any upgrades as I see fit. It was working on minute, and two hours later it wasn't.

FYI, no viruses were found.

That the recovery disc hangs is peculiar.

I have hope that there is someone with experience out there that can appreciate what I want and is willing to give some guidance.

Thanks.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Yes, you're right. I missed that. My suggestion to replace the hard drive would have fixed the issue if it was a hard drive problem. If the recovery disc hangs, maybe you've got a logic board or RAM problem. If you suspect a RAM problem you could try reseating the DIMMs. If it's a logic board problem you'd be better off buying a new machine than trying to fix this one.

5. JohnDS macrumors 65816

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

As was recommended above, I would suggest you consider putting an SSD into it.

It will literally transform the MacBook. I know, because like you I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro, and after putting an SSD into it, it runs -better than- new.

In fact, running 10.6.8 (which I still use) it boots in FIVE SECONDS from the first appearance of "the apple" to the finder.

This is a very easy "change-out", takes only a Phillips 00 driver and a Torx T-6 driver, and about 15 minutes of your time.
    Visit here to see how:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Hard+Drive+Replacement/4305

Be sure to buy the right tools as indicated above.

You can get a 128gb SSD for around $40.
    You can get a 240gb SSD for around $70.
    You can get a 480gb SSD for $100-120.
    I would suggest 240gb as "the sweet spot".

Something else to consider:
    The fragile "ribbon cable" that connects the internal drive to motherboard can sometimes get flaky, which will cause problems accessing the internal drive.
    Also see ifixit.com for replacement part number and instructions.

I would also suggest that you pick up a USB3 external enclosure for the old HDD.
    Use the enclosure to "prep and test" the SSD BEFORE you install it.

Again -- the BEST advice you're going to get is, "put an SSD into it".
    Cheap, easy, and..... fast!