iPad any tips to help make ipad best for college?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by isephmusic, Nov 1, 2013.

1. isephmusic macrumors 6502

So the guy at best buy was trying his HARDEST to get me to buy the samsung note lol i did like the wrist detection that was cool, as well as the side by side screen apps. is there anyway in ios to get the calculator to be open on top of another app say safari or notes? the samsung tab had a lot of cool features but that micro lag was killing me .

aside from polaris office what is available for people to send me documents to ? lastly how can i download something sent from a word or excel file to continue work on it. thanks !

2. Skinza macrumors newbie

You get Pages, Numbers and Keynote for free when you buy a new iPad.
    One thing I like with the note is that you get a stylus with it, which actually does work if you want to write on your iPad. (the fat styluses for iPad are useless). However, new thinner styluses are coming to iPad. I would def. go for the iPad. There are more and better apps you can use within your studies.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I did all my homework on an iPad 3 back in the day. Searched high and low for a good stylus. Ended up with this one - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I9CFKS/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It truly is amazing and worked wonderfully for me... in conjunction with 'Notability' at least.

Here's a random homework example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jo892cleomtoqbg/Homework 2.pdf (hand-writing is a tad sloppy because you sort of need to write differently than normal, but eh, at least it's legible :p)

I used Dropbox to sync my documents, and Notability even automatically backed up any files I started within it. So I could, say, download a PDF for a course to Dropbox, import it into Notability, annotate it, and pull it back up on my computer fully edited.

For documents, that's a toughy. I typically stuck with my MBA/iMac for work like that, but iWork is obviously free now, so you could try that.

4. isephmusic thread starter macrumors 6502

great suggestions thank you. but lets say i want to do other productive things like check edit photos and films to upload. im first time ipad user so im not sure how to deal with no file management. how do i store any content i make ? a lot of times im sent something and need to edit the flyer. is it just in that app ? when i want to export it back out to email it should have an option to correct ?

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

In the case someone emails you a photo or film to edit, for example, you simply click on the file to download it (assuming it's not fully downloaded yet), in which then some type of window will come up previewing the file. From there, you can click on the little box with an up-arrow (the share button?), which gives you a plethora of options, including opening the file in other apps (such as Pages, iPhoto, iMovie, etc.). From there, you can edit it, modify it, save it, etc. and export it via email/airdrop/text/etc.

6. isephmusic thread starter macrumors 6502

how come i tried to put a photo i just took on iphone into mac via airdrop and the 2 did not recognize each other ? im pretty sure i was on same network home wifi so im not sure why air drop didint work and i had to download some app to transfer photos to mac wirelessly. i need the ipad to be able to move documents freely from macbook and back

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

For one, assuming you utilize iCloud, any photo you take on any iCloud-connected device will automatically be uploaded to your Photo Stream (when on Wi-Fi), which is accessible on your Mac from iPhoto (once you sign in).

As for trying to AirDrop, AirDrop only works from iOS-to-iOS or Mac-to-Mac. Surely in the future this will be different, but as for now, that's how it is.

For documents, you're going to have to utilize Pages + iCloud or come up with your own solution that uses Dropbox/Box/SkyDrive/etc and whichever document-editor of your choosing. It's a pain, and that's why I just use my MBA for actual document-related work.

8. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

I use my IPad for Doctoral level classes, but I use it to store, and markup research material using EndNotes which syncs with my other Macs, the IPad is great for notes, markups, ect. But it is not a creation tool, light editing sure, for creation get a MacBook Air, they are almost the same cost now. If you are set on the IPad you can get Office University 365 which give you two installs (Mac or PC), access to Office for IOS and two years of SkyDrive.