Any tips to help speed up my internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FloridaMac, Mar 28, 2010.

1. FloridaMac macrumors regular

I have a 2.8 GHz with 2 GB of memory. Everything is connected properly but it's been running really slow lately. Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac and what Mac OS X version do you run on it?

What browser do you use?

When you wrote "running really slow lately", do you mean the internet or the Mac?

Do you have any other applications accessing the internet, uploading something for example?

Have you had this problem before with another computer?

Have you tried www.speedtest.net yet?

Sorry for all these questions, but you really haven't provided any useful information, and guessing games are not are strong suite here. And I currently have to wait for a copy process to finish, so I have some time to kill.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Assuming from your title that it's the internet that's slow, help us to narrow it down a bit. Is it your most visited site that's slow? Is it all sites, even those you've not visited before? What I'm trying to get at is a pattern. If you're really only visiting a few sites, the problem might not be on your end.

It's possible that clearing your browser's cache would speed things up in the long run. But, as noted above, what browser?

4. FloridaMac thread starter macrumors regular

It's an iMac that I bought last year. I use Safari for my web browser. How would I know if it's my Mac or the internet that's slow? It's slow for any webpages I go to. It says I have a full connection and my Time Machine (airport) is working properly also. Sorry, but I'm not real computer savvy. Thanks for any help

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Try this

Safari Menu > Reset Safari...
    check Empty the cache
    Now try Safari. Better?

If it's your Mac, other applications you use while not on the internet might be slow as well.

6. wellandbusiness macrumors newbie

As suggested earlier in the thread, the first thing I would do is run a speed test from one of the online providers such as:

Speedtest.net

If nothing else, doing this will identify if the problems you are having are being caused by your Mac, or because of your internet connection.

Do you have any other machines in the house connected to the internet via your Time Machine? If so, what is the internet like on these, and are you downloading any large files anywhere in the house?

Tom