Any tips/tricks/apps to keep iPhone/ipad hotspot on/active?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by maccuser, Nov 30, 2018.

1. maccuser macrumors regular

I'm trying to download an update to my Tesla using iPhone/ipad as hotspot but when the car loses wifi connection, the iOS turns off the hotspot and the car is unable to reconnect. Do you guys know of any tricks/tips that can keep it on until I manually turn it off?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Wonder why it loses the connection. How big is the update? Maybe you need to turn hotspot on manually and babysit the phone to keep it on until the update completes. Maybe park next to a Starbucks or McDonalds or hotel or something until the update is done and use their WiFi.

3. yass31 macrumors member

The only way it can reconnect automatically I think is to not quit the Personal Hotspot page in the Settings app. That way the wifi created on the iPhone will still be discoverable.
    Set the auto lock on never (to not to have to keep an eye on the phone to prevent it from locking itself) and leave it on the Hotspot page. I think it should work.

The hotspot turns off automatically when the phone's locked and all clients are disconnected to save battery.

4. maccuser thread starter macrumors regular

you are a genius, that may actually work. I'm gonna give it a try. its a 5 gig update for Tesla model 3