Any tips, videos, etc for installing the oleo front shield?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RalphMac, Aug 7, 2010.

1. RalphMac macrumors member

Just wondering if there's any install videos for it? It looks pretty straightforward though, just peel the shield about half-way, align properly on the phone, and continue.

2. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Some people would disagree but the easiest way to install a shield is a wet install. If it doesn't come with a solution you can get a bowl and put some soapy water in it and literally put the shield in the bowl. You just wet the shield making sure not to touch the back then place it on the screen.

It helps you to position the shield without having to lift it up and getting fingerprints, dust underneath it.

Get a credit card and wrap it in a micro fiber cloth so you can push the excess water from underneath and make sure you push it away from the ports.

You will get a flawless install if it is done correctly!!

3. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

im really bad with water and a phone lol, thats why i bought the dry install. but i guess if align right, things should work.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Don't do a wet install. Water has no place on your phone. Here's what I would do:

First, clean the screen with a slightly damp microfiber cloth.
    Next, put scotch tape over the entire screen, overlapping it so you can pull it all up in one motion.
    Remove the backing from the screen protector and quickly remove the tape from the screen.
    Line up the top of the screen protector and apply it from top to bottom using your hand to apply it without air bubbles.

If you end up with any dust under the screen protector, put a piece of scotch tape over the closest corner/edge to aid in lifting the screen protector up. Put another piece of tape around one of your fingers and tap the tape to the protector or screen wherever the dust lies. Be quick lest you introduce more dust. Good luck!

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I know what you mean but if your careful you will get the result you want.

I put mine on Monday because the other one had bubbles from a previous install.

The wet install comes out perfect!!

6. iFidget macrumors newbie

Another thing that kind of works is doing an install in a bathroom just a little while after taking a shower. This reduces the amount of dust in the air and thus the amount that gets suck to the screen shield during application. If a bit of dust does get caught just lift the screen protector up and use a piece of scotch tape to dab the dust off, then smooth it back down again.

Other than that just take your time and stay calm, and don't give up! Bubbles can be fixed, dust can be removed and the screen shield can be realigned if you need to. Good luck with it :).

7. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

8. OC513 macrumors 6502

9. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

10. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

This. I had tried for quite some time to get my Oleophobic on perfect but it was either dust or not lining up properly that was frustrating the hell out of me. I took a users advice on this forum to do a wet install with a bowl of water + 1 pump of soap in a slightly steamy bathroom and my install came out FLAWLESS.

11. nd4speed macrumors member

It's actually not that hard or complicated to do a perfect job. First of all don't expect it to be 100% perfect the first time you apply it. Here's what I do:

1. Get your tools ready: a microfiber cloth (2 if you have them), a can of air, some scotch tape, and some large adhesive tape (the 1x2 USPS priority mail labels are perfect).
    2. Use the mf cloth to wipe dust off the screen, then lay the phone down on it. Use the can of air to blow remaining dust off the screen (don't worry if it's not perfect, it almost never is).
    3. Apply the protector and focus ONLY on alignment (don't worry about bubbles or dust).
    4. Once it's aligned perfectly the way you want. apply one or two scotch tape pieces on one end (the top or bottom end, not the sides). These are going to be your pull handles. What you want to do now is pull up on one end and use the USPS label to get all the dust and other stuff off of the inside of the screen protector (don't pull all the way up, only up to the middle). Remember the primary reason why you have bubbles is because you have some piece of debris in there.
    5. Using the USPS label you should be able to do half the protector in just a couple of tries. Once done, pull the scotch tape off and create your handles for the other end, repeat step 4, done, no stress or other hocus pocus needed.

12. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

i just wanted to know does the oleo's still cover the front camera to protect it?

13. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I just got mine and I can confirm it does not. If you can imagine the cutout for the ear speaker being extended out just far enough to open up for the front camera. I personally think it looks awkward and unbalanced. They should of kept it like it was before people started complaining about no cut out.

14. drkash macrumors regular

This may sound like a stupid question but are you meant to remove the cover around the home button?

I know the oleophobic comes with a perforation around the 2 layers (protector + its cover film) - do they both come off and when is best to take them out? Before fitting the protector or after?

15. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Take it out before, I forgot to and had to lift the protector back up to get it off.