Any Titanium Cruzer freaks?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mcdj, Nov 8, 2008.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I've owned every Ti Cruzer (except the first long skinny one) Sandisk has made; 2GB/4GB/8GB.

Today I received the long awaited Ti 16GB, from a reputable UK seller on the Bay.

I'm kinda bummed, as it seems Sandisk is cutting corners to offset their shrinking profit margins on flash memory.

The 16GB is made out of some new metal. It's a glossy finish, not matte like before. And it's more silvery than warm titanium colored, although the new color does look a little nicer. On my keychain, the clinking sound it makes is distinctly different then all the previous versions. It still feels solid, but it doesn't say Liquidmetal on the back anymore. I wonder if they've switched to some aluminum alloy. It looks and sounds that way.

They also seem to have homogenized the LED to match that of the plastic Cruzer Micro line. The light is now orange, not blue. I guess it costs too much to run a separate batch of blue LEDs for the no doubt less popular Ti line. My feeling is they now just make the guts and slap on a different housing at the end of the line. :/

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have a 8GB SanDisk Titanium Ultra Cruzer.

What does that make me?

Meanwhile, since you seem to be quite the expert, the ring fastening the drive to my keychain became bent, and I need a new one. Any ideas? Thanks. :)

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

What, I'm not allowed to obsess over something because Apple didn't make it? There are 1000 pages of posts way more OCD than this on the iPhone forum. :)

Mine all bent too. The only replacement ring small enough that I've found is one from a small Victorinox pocket knife. I think it's called the Executive.

4. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Does it also come with the U3 software that, if you want to delete it, you have to google search the .exe program, download, then find a windows computer to run it and completely format the drive?

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I like the SanDisk Cruzer line. I have two of the black ones and they're pretty solid.

I haven't tried the Titanium ones yet but I'll give it a go when I purchase a new one. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for the reviews.

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I have a half-gig one. I bought it ages ago when it cost $70 (say it with me: :eek:) and now I se they make thumbdrives with 4GB you can snap up for $15... sickening... I like mine though and still use it.

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Yeah...but it's a USB stick.

A friggin, USB stick!:confused:

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you want to get rid of the U3 garbage, just open up Disk Utility on your Mac. There are 2 partitions on the drive. Delete both of them, and create a new one. This will get rid of U3, but everything else on your drive too, so it's best to do this when the drive is brand new, or after you've backed everything up.

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

It won't let you delete the U3 partition area. I have tried several times, it always comes back, and those files say they are locked and can not be deleted. I right clicked and "got Info" on them, but they don't show as locked.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can completely disable U3 on any Windows machine.

11. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

+1 lol :D

12. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

+2! :D:D:D That's it. I'm starting a jewel case collection!

13. kvasir macrumors regular

I have a 2GB model and a 4GB Titanium Plus. I love both of them. I've had a few Lexars in the past and they fell apart from regular use. The 2gb went through the washer and dryer and still works like a charm. The write speeds on these are much better than other drives.