Any Trebuchet freaks out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kyerion, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Kyerion macrumors newbie

Ive build a large trebuchet (or large compared to the ones i know of). 160 cms tall, 180 cms long, and the arm is 240 cms long. Ive got everything built, but i have 2 bigs problems.
    1. The bag i used to hold 120lbs broke, and i cant think of anything strong enough to hold it that i can tie up to notches in the arm.

2. I can't think of a material to make the sling out of that wouldnt release the ball before it reaches verticle.

I have a job, and no bills, so there is no budget. Anyone have any ideas?

2. biker74 macrumors member

biker74

Brilliant. Think they look great, and move majestically on release.

The only thing I can think of is strong leather.

There are alot of sites dedicated to this, so it might involve traipsing through websites for a day.

3. DigiCatRedux macrumors member

DigiCatRedux

Well, if historical accuracy isn't a must, I'd suggest something maybe like ballistic nylon netting or strapping. As the previous poster mentioned, I'm sure there must be an online community out there that could also recommend solutions.
    Oh, and you HAVE to post some pictures when you get a chance!

Trebuchet=cool.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Do you have any where you can use the thing?

Love to see a video of it action (once it's been repaired), Trebuchets are so retro they're cool again :p

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Oh. I thought you were talking about the font...

6. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I made one of those back in high school for physics class though I didn't have the right weight for it to maximize its potential. I agree with DigiCatRedux if you're not trying to be historically accurate then you have a lot more options. Do you have any pictures?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I am relieved to see that I wasn't the only one :)

8. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I second. I would love to see this, especially in action! :D

Good luck getting it repaired!

What's your ammo?

9. Kyerion thread starter macrumors newbie

Im loading it with tennis balls for the moment. i plan to move up to more squishable, splatterable objects if i can get this thing launching properly. Then possibly work targets messing with the weight and the sling length.

EDIT: I snapped a picture today in my backyard. (with sling missing though, it was disassembled)

[​IMG]

10. logophore macrumors newbie

Free 20+ft. Trebuchet if ya want it.

i couldnt figure out where you all are posting from but if anybody's near southern california, i have a 20+ foot tall trebuchet that i cant store anymore. it's in 5-6 pieces for transport using a 14' trailer, but can probably be broken down even more for transport in a longbed truck. theres a poor quality pic and full description on craigslist.com orange county area. search trebuchet- email me from there.

sorry if this seems like spam- I really am just interested in finding it a good home.

Tim

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's a pretty decent typeface as standard MS issues go.

12. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

A local builders supply firm does these in many sizes- usually get one free from building sites, they just throw them away- my mate got one when he re-did his garden.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. munson macrumors 6502

munson

I was contemplating coming in here and talking about catapults, but that would not be nice, and I have a name to uphold.

Also, I made a trebuchet back in HS a few years back, and she worked pretty well. Then my shop teacher backed into it before we got pictures. :(

It was a few brief moments of glory that were sadly never recorded. If only we would have recorded the couple practice launches we did...

14. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Nice job.. I like the webbing design on the bottom. Seems Spiderman-ish. ;)

Squishable, splatterable objects.. heh... Sounds like absolute fun!

15. Kyerion thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup

Yeah, its gunna be fun. And as for the design, i was just looking for something to put there, and the web design made sense at the time. No relation to spiderman

16. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

web, i think is way tacky

anyway,
    Kevlar is a great material
    pumpkins and small water melons work well,
    but i think (i do not know) that a lacrosse ball wrapped in something absorbent so it doesn't bounce like a mofo would be good (there quite heavy).

i would put some cross supports to make a A frame from each side, but what do i know.

again, Kevlar = beautiful
    and if you could find it, a Mylar and Kevlar bag

edit:
    my two cents
    red and black, everyone thinks it looks bad a$$ and mean, but really its just ugly.
    be more creative with the color, but my honest opinion is, do not paint it, something is going to break, it always does, so i wouldn't paint it.

17. Kyerion thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh

We painted it pretty much to be able to stick our nose up to the other classmates. Tis' a shame it didnt work. Oh well, i get to keep it. It looked awesome and put everyone elses project to shame (even if it did fire backwards and the weight bag did break). Ill look around for Kevlar, though i doubt ill find it (i live in a small town without even a bowling alley. Kapuskasing, Ontario if any of you know it)

18. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

internet is your friend, and actually nylon should work, or w/e its called, high strength nylon or just rope.