Any truth to rumors?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BigAlTouch, Aug 1, 2008.

1. BigAlTouch macrumors newbie

Hey guys new guy here,
    Ive been reading online for a few months now that there is going to be a new ipod sometime around september and it is gonna have a lot of new features, and a price drop. Here are my two questions: How true are any of these rumors, have any of them been confirmed or are they still speculation at this time?? and Im gonna be needing a good scientific calculator, and I was wondering how good the one on the touch is? I dont wanna have to make an extra expense if the touch is a good calculator. Im still saving up for my touch, dont know if 16 or 32gb yet, but any info is greatly appreciated.

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I wouldn't rely on the iPod's calculator for schoolwork. A good TI-83/84/84SE can be had for around $100.

3. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Choose a dedicated scientific or graphing calculator, unless you can find a good app for the iPod touch (but then you might not be able to use it on tests and such) which may cost money.

And calculators aren't expensive. A good scientific calculator is less than $20. Good graphing calculators can be had for about $50, and although there are cheaper ones out there, they're not really that good.

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Why not? The iPod Touch can graph, do expression evaluation and other scientific math (or if there aren't any apps that do that now, I'm positive one will pop up.)

The problem is cheating. It's unlikely you'll be allowed it for tests. I would suggest a CASIO or TI without a graphing screen; those you can use on any test.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

SpaceTime looks like a really good graphing calculator. Way ahead of dedicated graphing calculators. It's "coming soon for the iPhone and iPod touch."

For scientific calculators, I recommend the cheapest one that has a two-line display (really useful) and the features you need. (If you need more you might want to look at a graphing calculator.) Some have "textbook" notation (instead of calculator syntax) and if you prefer that you might want to look into them. Casio/TI/Sharp/hp, it doesn't matter that much. With scientific calculators, syntax and notation don't differ too much, and it's not hard to learn the features and keystrokes.

6. LloydBraun89 macrumors member

Well to answer some of your first questions. no, none of the rumors have really been confirmed. i am sure something will be leaked at least a week or two ahead of official announcements. for now everything is speculation. and for a calculator i would recommend the TI-83/84+ as those are the ones most used in classrooms for demos.

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

No. All the rumors are false. The ipod Touch will never be updated or refreshed. Ever

8. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Rumors are rarely confirmed until Apple releases the rumored product.

If you want more information on them, though, I suggest you search the threads.

It would be nice to have a good graphing calculator app for the Touch. Not that I would use it; math's yucky stuff (Telecommunications & Film major. I got 3 hrs required math, and that's it :D :D :D)!

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

What are you calling "yucky"? :mad:

:D

For a graphing calculator I would recommend the Casio fx-9750G PLUS ($49) or the fx-9860G ($79). They are comparable to the TI-83 and TI-84, and have a few unique features. They are also easy to use. But if you need a TI for whatever reason, I say go for it.

10. muldul macrumors 6502

They are generally updated around september, but i'm not sure about the Touch as a calculator for school. I use mine some times when i forget it in class, but not for tests or anything important, as they would class it as cheating and i can't type on it as fast as i would on a normal one. I did write a paper on my touch once though (I forgot my book, it was important too) got a A* (A+):D

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ti-89 all the way

i couldnt imagine not having a dedicated graphing calc when i was in school

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I was in my local target and noticed they were running low on Nanos and Touches. I asked the clerk if he'd been told anything. He said he was told there would be new models in September and they wouldn't get any old ipods until then. All he would say is that the new ones were "better", but he was not told in what way.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Generally, September is when updated iPods are released.

There are some good calculators already available for the Touch, depending on your need.

I would suggest before making your decision, find out if there are any calculator limitations for testing purposes at your school.

As others have said, a dedicated scientific calculator may be a better way to go. Personally, I downloaded PCalc which is nice for simple scientific calculator. It supports both Algebraic and RPN methods.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol target people dont know anything so take it with a grain of salt

source: ive worked at target

15. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Lol. Funny post.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

WE know more about the new iPods than the frigTargets. The new iPod touch will look the same but be 16/32/64 at the 8/16/32 price points.

17. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

As said before, we probably know more than that guy does. Did he say he heard it from a store official, or is he just a MacRumors member :D

I never say it, but this deserves a good ol' "lol!"