Any truth to set up as new iphone or back up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jun 18, 2009.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

is there any truth in setting up as new phone being better than back up, because with back up you bring back your files that may be corrupt. I think back up is same as setting up new iphone. All back up does is put your information back on your phone, but the actual software has bee updated. I keep hearing different things and i want to know everyones take and maybe someone has an experience where back ups kept giving problems and after setting up as new iphone they were fine.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you have a corrupt preference file, which is causing your phone troubles, restoring from backup won't fix anything.

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

would a corrupt preference file have anything to do with the sms sound that other have or with the slider freezing or perhaps even the app image coming up wrong. by preference u probably mean a problem with lagging or something now?

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

i think i may just be to anal about this whole thing lol, but i keep hearing diff. things. i wanna know from a techy person if this has any truth and make a back up restore is fine for me since i dont have battery or lagging issues and even then idk. what would be best.

5. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

seems like no one answers my threads, but i get a lot of views!

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I've never had a problem using from "backup." You only want/need to setup as a new iPhone if you're having issues with your iPhone in an attempt to fix any possible software causing problems.

8. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

well i posted that. sms sound has randomly not worked 4 times since i got 3.0 yesterday, but then it will continue to work for a while. its just random texts sometimes vibrate, but no sound. the slider froze once.... idk if thats cause to do it as a new phone.

9. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't hurt to give it a try. You can always restore if the new phone has the same problems.

10. kyleaa macrumors regular

If you are having issues with your existing phone, such as the wrong app icons showing up, it may have something to do with your backup. The Apple Geniuses have told me not to restore from backup when I was having strange issues.

If you haven't been having troubles, there is no reason to not restore from backup, and like someone else already said, you can just restore and set up as new if problems do arise.

11. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

the wrong app icon was fixed when i just redownloaded it. the main issue as the sms sound not making sound 4 random times and working every other time and the slider froze once. idk if that will help from a non back up restore.

12. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Then I would give setting up as new iPhone a try.